How to correctly tuck the line for the trimmer into the mower
How to wind the trimmer line correctly on the grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well maintained only if you regularly mow the grass. Grass trimmer is best for treating difficult areas. Any owner of the unit sooner or later will face the problem of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because from the wrong actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also withdraw the equipment from failure. Today in our Homius review we will tell you about all the ways and nuances of replacing the fishing line and the peculiarities of the choice of consumable material.
Lawn trimmers are great for mowing small or difficult areas like next to hedges, between seedbeds and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected to suit any needs of owners.
Grass trimmer fishing line is used as the cutting element of the grass trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will face the question of how to properly replace and fix the thread tucked into the removable spool.
What to consider when choosing a line
Before inserting and securing the trimmer line into the grass trimmer’s removable reel, it is important to choose the right material.
Rating of the best models of gasoline trimmer for grass. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review will help in the difficult choice among the many models of devices.
Before you put the grass trimmer fishing line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the cross-section of the cord:
- Filament with a circular cross section. this is the most common option. They do an excellent job of mowing the grass, even in difficult areas;
- spiral trimmer line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very strong and will not be suitable for old thickets;
- Cord with serrated and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- The fishing line for the trimmer with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, but the strength of the consumable material is not high.
Important! The most wear-resistant consumable material. it is a two-component line for trimmer with a circular section, reinforced from the inside.
The owner of brushcutter should know that it is categorically impossible to use wire made of metal, fishing line and a variety of strings.
Rating of the best electric trimmers for grass. In this review, we will analyze the criteria for choosing an electric trimmer, technical characteristics, as well as the most popular models and brands according to consumer reviews.
Before the grass trimmer spool thread, you should pay attention to its size. Most often a line of 2 mm for the trimmer is used.
You can find the right diameter in the following ways:
- Look at the recommendations in the manufacturer’s instructions to the trimmer.
- Often manufacturers put information about the section on the bobbin.
- The diameter of the filament should match the diameter of the hole in the reel.
Important! The thicker the cord, the harder the grass it can mow.
Choosing a fishing line
To easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer bobbin, it is worth determining what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread that you thread into the head, the more difficult the tasks it will be able to perform. It should be noted that often a universal thread is used, the width of which does not exceed 2 mm. You in turn can determine the size using the following methods:
- Read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- check the suitability of the line for use by yourself by trying to insert it into the spool hole;
- Examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed to use.
The choice of line for the grass trimmer reel can be made according to the type of engine. For example, excessively thick thread may cause increased rotational resistance. This will put more strain on the engine, which will surely affect the quality and life of the engine.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. For this you should consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 W a trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm is ideal. If you can not get such thread, you can use 1.6 mm cord. Filament with a diameter of 2 mm is used for engines with more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If the gasoline unit has a straight shaft, you should use a thread of 2.5 or 3 mm. The thickest lines are installed only on devices with power equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, is the type of cross-section of the line. When choosing it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set before the garden tool. There are several popular cross-sections:
- Twisted. has a small margin of safety, which makes it suitable only for young grass;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work in overgrown weeds;
- circular. most common. These lines do well with fresh grass, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. because of their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The most durable and versatile cord is a two-piece trimmer line with a circular cross-section, with a core inside. It is this kind of cord that is suitable for most of the work. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, common wire and other foreign materials as a cord is dangerous to the environment.
Removing and disassembling the bobbin
To properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, it is necessary to become familiar with the structure of the trimmer head. It consists of the protective cover, the bobbin and thread, the bobbin case cover, and the spring which is only present in some devices.
Before proceeding to disassemble the spool, it is necessary to switch off/disconnect the device completely. Method of operation depends on the head type. The first option is to do the following:
- The user presses the latches located on both sides of the cover.
- After removing the cover, the bobbin is removed. Some models may have a spring, which must also be removed.
- In the center of the body is a screw, which should be unscrewed with an ordinary screwdriver.
- When the fasteners are removed, it remains to remove the gearbox from the shaft, gently rocking the body of the product.
The second option for removing the reel for threading the line into the grass trimmer is to screw the head onto the gearshaft. For this procedure, many devices are equipped with a hole into which the tool can be inserted. When the screwdriver is inserted, the user only needs to take hold of the product body and twist it clockwise. It is noteworthy that this method, unlike the method described earlier, is characterized by the simplicity of execution.
How to change a trimmer line for a knife
For mowing hard last year’s grass and bushes, it is recommended to replace the line for the trimmer with a nozzle with knives. The nozzle can be made as a solid metal plate with several cutting blades (usually two to four blades) or as a disc with plastic blades loosely attached to it. All-metal nozzles are recommended for experienced mowers with the right tool, as they can potentially cause very serious injury. They are recommended only on trimmers with a straight boom (so that the nozzle was as far away from the feet as possible all the time) and on grass trimmers with a paired U-shaped handle, resembling a bicycle or motorcycle handlebars (perhaps that’s why such benzotrimmer often called brushcutsami). Grass trimmers with a D-handle with a curved shaft are recommended only with the plastic blade disc, which is much safer.
Bosch grass trimmer
Installation of the disc is carried out in approximately the same sequence as the installation of the trimmer head. The metal blade is mounted on a support washer of appropriate diameter so that the disc is held in place without play. Disc is closed from above with one or two fixing washers, which are screwed to gearbox shaft with a nut with left-hand thread. Be careful when you start to pull out the nut, do not lose it. you can not buy these in a regular construction store, only in a specialized workshop or service center for trimmers. The plastic blade head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft in the same way as the filament head.
Don’t forget to wear safety glasses, headphones and good, sturdy shoes.
When working with an electric mains trimmer, be careful not to accidentally get under the line for the trimmer the cable with which the technique is connected to the network.
Electric grass trimmer is best to choose a battery operated version. Of course, the batteries need to be periodically charged, but this design is much safer, since there is no contact with the 220V power grid. It is desirable, of course, to have a spare battery, so you can change it.
We suggest you watch a video about how to change the line for the trimmer on the head of the lawnmower.
Winding the fishing line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, if you follow a certain algorithm. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you’ve decided on the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin with the central rim, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction you need to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it around in the opposite direction.
- Wrap the consumable material carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- After completing the filament laying, fasten the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. The second end (longer), attach in a groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the line to the trimmer, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded spool to the mowing head of the unit. To do this, alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet holes of the head to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Pull the cord out of the fastening grooves with the required force and tighten the material. Once this is complete, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
You can also wind the cord on the grass trimmer in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. Replace it this way:
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole to hold the thread in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- The same actions need to be done for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
Removing the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric trimmers with the lower location of the engine (when it is at the ground when working), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. Press them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half is removed and the inner part, on which directly and winds up a line for the trimmer. Be careful during disassembly: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a bent boom (there is no possibility to put a knife on such trimmers yet) one has to grasp the spool body itself with one hand and start turning counterclockwise the winglet on it with the other hand. It is the one that attaches the spool to the trimmer’s grass trimmer bar. After unscrewing the thumbscrew, carefully remove the whole coil, taking care not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight boom and gear on its end (in such trimmers for grass besides the fishing line can be set and a knife) are looking for under the spool hole, put it in, for example, screwdriver, quietly turn the spool, until the screwdriver will not get even deeper, and the spool will be fixed. Now turn the spool clockwise (because the thread is left) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Next we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted with a thumbturn. If the reel is on the latches, we press on the sides of the base of the latches to make them bend and release one half of the reel body from the other half. We simply unscrew the wing nut. There can also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a spool: when it is necessary to grab the lower part with one hand and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. Dismantling a spool, you must also ensure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers at the lowest in one place. Click and see
Now, after removing and disassembling the spool, we proceed, actually, to winding.
Block: 2/3 | Number of characters: 1967
What kind of line is used for trimmer for grass?
There are several kinds of line for trimmer:
- Stronger. round;
- For mowing soft vegetation. shaped;
- For cutting narrow grass. with notches;
- Special. suitable for certain types of trimmers for grass.
Type of cross-section of the cutting thread should match the vegetation to be mowed.
If you need to change the line for the trimmer, you need to pick up exactly the kind that is recommended by the manufacturer of this particular model of trimmer for grass, in other words, the thickness of the cutting thread must fit the power of the motor and the size of the unit.
It is better to choose a specialized cutting filament. It is worth soaking the line for trimmer for a while, if you plan to change it in the reel.
After soaking, it becomes elastic and stronger.
The cutting line can be made of various components. Often found in the middle of them. nylon.
This material is characterized by the highest degree of wear resistance, ability to withstand different temperatures and high loads.
Nylon trimmer line can be stored for a long time, it does not dry out and does not lose its strength.
That’s why its service life can be quite long.
Reels or heads for brushcutter have different structure:
How to catch more fish?
- Single line. There is only one working line for the grass trimmer in the modification of this trimmer. Used such a unit is mainly for small jobs, such as trimming grass.
- Two-stranded. Can be both automatic and automatic. There are two strings included. Use this grass trimmer for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions on how to correctly wind the cutting filament onto the grass trimmer reel:
- The first thing to do is to disassemble the head. To do this, press the catch and twist the cover to the side. Next remove the bobbin.
- Measure the right amount of cutting filament and insert it into the slot.
- From both sides, wind the line for the trimmer in the direction of the arrow.
- The 15 cm long ends should be left unwound.
- These ends are inserted in opposite slots.
- The ends are then secured in the hole on the head.
- Then carefully insert the bobbin into the bobbin case by pressing it gently.
- If necessary, you can pull the remaining ends of the thread out. To do this, first pull one end of the thread and then the other so that they can easily pass through the slots in the head.
- Now you should assemble the grooves on the body and screw on the lid.
- Then press the bobbin and try to spin it until it stops. If you hear a click, the bobbin has clicked into place.
- Next, you need to pull the loose ends of the thread to the end.
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer or brushcutter mowing head
This video shows in detail how to wind the line on the grass trimmer or brushcutter reel. Threading a line with a trimmer head.
How to wind a line on the brushcutter’s mowing head (grass trimmer)
Read more on our site: Subscribe to our YouTube Channel! Always glad to cooperate!
Block: 3/7 | Number of characters: 2850
Selecting a fishing line
For good trimmer head filament, it’s important not to miscalculate the type of filament you need. The thicker the cord, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. A multipurpose line for trimmers with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. To find the right diameter for your mower you can do the following:
- Check the manual provided with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is labeled with information about possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet. If it passes through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Grass trimmer reel
Choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the trimmer line is too thick, the rotation resistance will increase. the motor will then overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick filament is suitable. If you don’t have one, you can use 1.6mm fishing line for your trimmer. If the power is greater than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has a value of the shaft mower. For the bent version a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular cross section. They cut fresh grass very well, but are poorly suited for shrubs and dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is good for thin young grass.
- Serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds on a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer lines can mow the lawn more evenly, but they’re not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a round section.
Types of line for grass trimmer
Note that you cannot use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, and as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly apart at high speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How does the line head work on the brushcutter why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the model, there are differences in the design of the brushcutter head, not only externally but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a spool, which is planted on the slits, preventing its free movement
- The spool is actuated by a spring, which presses it to the slits in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is usually 1 to 4 meters
- During the operation, if the need to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is out of mesh with the slits. The line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, thus increasing its length
- Once the necessary length of line has been released, release the clamping force and continue mowing
The advantage of the tool with a fishing line is that this consumable material does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to the consideration of the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, it is this point that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Advantages of a trimmer head
Metal discs are used on trimmers along with heads. Compared to them, cutting elements with a fishing line have a number of advantages:
- No need to sharpen consumables
- If stones or other solid objects hit the trimmer line will simply rip, not injure others or the mower
- thread breaks do not negatively affect gears and motors of trimmers.
- Machines with heads remove grass better than their metal counterparts.
Working with a technique such as a grass trimmer requires caution and care. Compliance with safety precautions during work is mandatory for beginners and experienced craftsmen. It happens so that self-confident mowers let their guard down, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. That’s why it’s important to keep your hands and feet clean and dry when operating your power tool
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not wind more fishing line than it’s supposed to: it’s hard to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check the tool’s operation before mowing.
- Choose quality material that is matched to the particular trimmer.
Do not attempt to mow coarse grass with thick stems using a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear safety glasses and proper footwear.
Grass trimmer reel design
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs. both simple and complex. The illustration below shows the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the package of the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The design of a mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following parts:
- base of the mowing head;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- Bobbin (spool) in which the trimmer line is threaded;
- The eyelets are where the line for the trimmer comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- trimmer line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
all these nozzles do not allow to change length of line in a semiautomatic mode (after the button is pressed). In case the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Preparing for changing
For clarity, the mowing head (bobbin) was removed from the brushcutter. No need to remove fishing line to change it. It does not take much time.
Dismantle the grass trimmer bobbin. it is held on the latches-catch. Remove the cover by pushing on the latches. If there is not enough force to do it by hand, a screwdriver is used.
The spool consists of the following:
The principle is as follows. Pressing the button, the spool is pressed against the spring and comes out of the retaining grooves in the cover of the bobbin. When held in this condition, the reel can be spooled to adjust the length of the line. When you release the button, the body spring returns the bobbin to its original locked position.
Winding the line
Unhurriedly completed disassembling of the bobbin-spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. reeling in the fishing line. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one working strand
The simplest variant and not complicated sequence of actions:
- The size of the bobbin and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of line for winding. 2 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. normally an arrow on the inside of the reel shows in which direction the line is wound.
- A small section of fishing line is left free for its exit. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Reel with two operating tendrils
With this type of bobbin, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases, a trimmer line with a length of 2-3 m is taken. In single-cable spools, the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the boom. inside, an arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are pushed through or held by fingers of free hand, put into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, bobbin is closed and fastened to the rod of the trimmer product.
The difference in the winding of the line in dual spools is that initially a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both fishing line tendrils are wound each on its groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the above variant with one groove.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite time consuming, but with time and experience this task will be much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool and wind it up correctly. this operation is nothing complicated and with some patience is sure to be successful:
After the cutting line has worn out as a result of the work, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Remove the fishing line from the slot by pulling it out to the desired length and reinsert it into the slots. The amount of material wound on the spool is enough for 5-10 cycles of work, depending on the model of the device. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully to see if the grooves where the clamps are inserted are clogged, if they are clogged, carefully clean them.
When the line for the trimmer is worn out, you must again disassemble the mowing head, pull out the spool and rewind the working line for the trimmer on it.
The grass trimmer is the most common tool used for cutting grass and small shrubs. It is easy to operate, simple to operate and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that high-quality mowing work requires the right cutting attachment. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line for the trimmer are an expendable tool, but if the blades can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it is necessary to replace it. In this article we will give you the detailed information on how to correctly change trimmer line.
How to remove the spool and replace the line for your trimmer
Owners of trimmers, mainly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change a cutting tool or line for a trimmer on a reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if a replacement tool is needed, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before you tuck the line for trimmer into the spool, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries caused by accidental start of the cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the attachment mounted on the gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal bar or screwdriver into them.