How to properly trim the trunk of a tree
How to prune a dwarf apple tree?
On a dwarf rootstock, apple trees give abundant yields, and they begin to bear fruit earlier. If you do not cut dwarf fruit trees, their total fruiting period can be reduced to 3. 5 years.
In the first year of life, the skeleton of the crown is formed by trimming the trunk. The height of the cut depends on the variety and is 40-70 cm.Lateral shoots are pruned so that the crown visually becomes like a ball, cap or triangle.
The closer to the top of the apple tree, the more the branches develop. Strong upper branches shorten, which stimulates the growth and development of shoots in the center of the crown. Branches of trees on dwarf rootstocks, if they are healthy, are rarely completely cut out. Most often, two to four kidneys are left on them.
As soon as the apple tree begins to bear fruit, the number of flower buds should be regulated so as not to overload the apple tree with fruits. Under the weight of the fruit, dwarf varieties can be threatened not only with a fracture of the branches. A tree can uproot itself from the ground.
Adult apple tree
Starting at the age of five, rejuvenating is the main pruning that is carried out on fruit trees. Before starting it, they make sanitary pruning. When the apple tree is cleaned, they begin to rejuvenate:
- Cut off all old branches that are no longer capable of producing apples of varietal size and quality;
- Part of the tops is cut out;
- Crossed branches are cut onto the ring;
- All branches directed inside the crown and downward are removed;
- The root and shoots growing at the trunk are destroyed;
The last stage of anti-aging procedures is the shortening of the trunk. Tall trees can be cut down to 3.5. 2.5 meters without damaging the fruiting intensity. Removing the top opens access to the inside of the crown for light, helps to increase the quality of fruits and their quantity.
Pruning apple trees on dwarf and columnar rootstocks has its own characteristics.
Apple tree care after pruning
After pruning, fruit trees need watering and feeding. If the pruning was carried out in the spring, it is necessary to apply fertilizers to the soil of the near-trunk circle, which contain nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium in equal proportions.
After the autumn pruning, fertilizers are applied, which contain potassium and phosphorus. they stimulate wound healing, strengthen the bark of the apple tree. Nitrogen fertilizers should be avoided in the fall.
The introduction of nitrogen in the fall will give an impetus to the development of new shoots, as a result, the wood of annual growths will not have time to mature to the end, the apple tree will not prepare for wintering. As a result, cuts made in the fall may be susceptible to frostbite.
When making top dressing, you should strictly adhere to the fertilizer application rates. Over-fertilizing apple trees will do more harm than good.
Apple tree pruning scheme.
How to prune an apple tree by year.
How to prune an apple tree in the fall.
How to prune apple trees to form the crown of a tree.
Annual apple tree
The gardener at this stage has two tasks: to restrain the growth of the central shoot so that the skeletal side branches develop well, and to form a stem. Formative pruning of young apple trees should begin one year after planting.
At the age of one year, the seedling consists of a trunk and 2. 3 branches. If the central trunk is cut at a height of 0.8. 1 meter, the growth of lateral shoots will increase. Long skeletal branches should be shortened. Each of them should be 16-20 cm shorter than the height of the trunk, have from three to five buds.
For the formation of the correct stem, shoots that grow on a seedling at a distance of 40-50 cm from the ground must be removed. Branches that have an angle of up to 60 degrees at the point of growth will not be able to form a good backbone on their own. You can deal with them in two ways: remove or try to give them a horizontal position.
How to properly prune an apple tree?
Before you properly prune an apple tree, you must carefully study the pruning methods and their types.
How to prune apple trees in the fall?
In late autumn, you can carry out all those pruning work for which there was not enough time in spring and summer:
- Branches broken by the wind are removed;
- Branches that have broken or cracked under the weight of the fruit are removed;
- After fruiting, sanitary pruning is carried out to get rid of the consequences of harvesting;
- Anti-aging pruning of old apple trees is carried out;
- If, during the fruiting period, branches were seen on adult apple trees, on which there was practically no harvest, they should be removed;
- Branches on which small and deformed fruits have grown are removed;
- Branches that obscure the main fruiting shoots are removed;
- Branches heavily affected by pests, bacterial or fungal infections are removed.
The need for pruning depends on many factors. One of them is the age of the orchard.
Damage to the top of the trunk
Apex damage is one of the most common problems of the columnar apple tree. The damage is usually caused by frost and pests, then by the beginning of the season the apical part of the trunk dries up and dies off. These processes force gardeners to trim the tops.
The peculiarity of pruning shoots at the crown is that it is necessary not only to cut off the central shoot, but also to find a replacement for it. If this is not done, the apple tree forms several trunks at the top and loses the shape of a column. To create a new crown, the strongest shoot is chosen, which grows vertically.
The remaining vertical branches are cut off, leaving two to three buds from the base. The former crown is removed at the point of contact with the chosen leader.
To avoid the need for trimming, the top of the columns should be wrapped for the winter.
How to form the crown of a fat woman?
By pinching and pruning, the crown of the plant is formed. And the state of the foliage of Crassula depends on the illumination and watering.
If you put an indoor flower on the south window, where there is most of the sunlight, it will respond with abundant growth.
We must not forget to turn it in order to avoid one-sided stretching of the branches and get a symmetrical, uniform appearance of the leaves.
But it should be remembered that the direct rays of the sun can harm the “money tree”, reddened leaves will tell about it.
The fat woman will respond to moderate and frequent watering with lush healthy growth. Waterlogging will lead to stagnation of water in the pot, followed by rotting of the roots. Falling foliage will be one of the reasons for waterlogging.
A young tree is transplanted annually in April. Adult plants are transplanted less often, every three years. Fat women do not need spacious pots, since in undeveloped land, which can sour over time, the roots can rot. Therefore, you should choose a pot with a low side, which is 1 cm wider than the previous one, with drainage holes covered with shards.
Broken brick can be sprinkled on the bottom as drainage. The transshipment method is used so as not to damage the roots. Once the plant is transplanted, it is not watered for about 3 days.
The fat woman is a spectacular and tenacious tree that will become an ornament in any interior. In addition, the plant produces antibacterial, antiviral and antibacterial substances. Thus, the air is disinfected and purified, preventing many diseases.
Growing bonsai from a bonsai
To get bonsai from a bonsai, you need to select the appropriate container. For a bush with a thick shoot and leaves, they acquire a deep container, for a less fat shoot. a shallow one. They should be with drainage holes, on which pieces of vinyl mesh are placed on top to prevent soil leaching from the tank. On each side of the hole, wire loops are placed, up to 6-7 cm long, the ends of which are passed into it and bent, and the mesh is pressed with the loops. In the same way, the support wire is fixed to fix the tree trunk during planting.
Further, the following work is carried out:
- A bush is removed from the old pot, the soil is removed from the roots, they are pruned, the rotten and large ones growing down are removed.
- Scissors cut thin branches without leaves, not forgetting about the alternation of branches.
- Put some earth on the drainage layer and carefully place the bush in the reservoir, fixing it with a supporting wire.
- They fill up the soil, leaving a little space for the distribution of fertilizers (according to the instructions), moss or small pebbles over its surface. A little more space should remain to the border of the container so that when watering, the water does not overflow over its edges.
- Water the plant until water appears in the pan, which is later drained. They put a flower in a lighted place.
In the future, the earth is moistened only when its top layer dries up. Since the leaves immediately absorb water, their slight wrinkling will be the signal for subsequent watering. Do not forget about the introduction of nutrients with useful minerals, since the crown of the bastard can only be formed with the normal development of the plant, its branches, leaves and root system, which absorbs nutrition and gives the fat woman strength. If there is no growth, then the crown and root system will not be formed from anything.
How to pinch
How to pinch the money tree correctly:
- Pry off the growth point on top of the main trunk with nail scissors or other sharp object and cut it off. Powerfully pinch the top of the trunk with your fingers with careful twisting movements to start the development of new shoots on the sides of the stem.
- On the branches, to create a beautiful and lush crown, pinch the buds over 3-4 pairs of leaves. Then lateral shoots with young leaves will actively grow.
If the plant is very young, then it is pinched after the regrowth of 2-4 pairs of leaves and when a new bud appears between the last pair. To avoid damaging the plant and leaves, use tweezers or nails (not wire!) To pluck out a new bud.
It is important to know. The pinching procedure is carried out with the active growth of the plant: in the spring. at the very beginning of the growing season, in the summer. at the height of growth, so that new growth buds appear, and from them branches with leaves.
Instead of the removed one, 2-3 new buds will form, and from them the first branches. If only one new bud is formed, then it is pinched so that more shoots appear. On growing shoots, the procedure is repeated in the same way. Then the branches will not be long, but will retain their strength. With good lighting from all sides and sufficient watering without stagnant moisture, the fat woman will take the shape of a tree.
When tilting the tree towards the light, you need to periodically turn the pot in which it grows. Also read our article “How to take care of the money tree”.
Working with a young plant
Working with the design of a small money tree is much easier, because it has just begun to grow. It is easier for such a plant to give the desired shape.
First you need to determine in what form the fat woman should be, what should be the height. The money tree is given time to grow upward and when the shoot becomes the required length. All lateral branches are pinched off.
When the crassula reaches the required height, the tip is pinched. After that, new branches will begin to appear, they will be the basis for a luxurious crown.
Each new twig is pinched at an equal distance from the place of growth. For example, every 6 pairs of leaves. The more often you pinch, the thicker the crown will be. But very often it is also not worth pinching, since too large a pile-up will impede the sunlight. Long branches will make the crown sparse.
Step-by-step instructions for pinching a young plant
It is recommended to start forming the crown in a young seedling.
- The choice of capacity. To grow a beautiful, neat tree, only one stalk of Crassula should be planted in a pot.
The pot should be shallow, but wide enough, since the root system of the plant is superficial and branched.
A shallow container slows down the growth of roots, and all forces go to the formation of a powerful trunk, which will grow stiff faster. Further, as it develops, they transfer the “money tree” into a pot of larger diameter, but the depth increases insignificantly.
First pinching. Produced when four pairs of leaves have appeared on a small seedling, and a bud has formed between them, the future fifth pair. It needs to be removed by taking it with two fingers and turning it around the axis. Or pinch off with nail scissors, making two cuts towards each other.
In this case, you must not damage the leaves. In place of the removed bud, two or three fresh buds will appear. They will be the main branches on the future tree, which will form a lush crown. If only one new kidney appears, it should be removed again.
When to form a crown?
The process of forming a money tree is not complicated. Regular pruning is done in the spring. This period is most suitable for the formation of the trunk and the top, it will help the tree to maintain its shape. Time from March to May. In the summer, corrective pinching is done, asymmetrically growing branches are removed, growth is stimulated where necessary.
Any plant breeder will be able to correctly perform the pruning procedure at home on his own. An adult plant should be rotated for convenience and examined to see where branches and leaves need to be removed. The pot is not changed at this moment, that is, the transplant is not performed. The money tree gives off a milky white liquid when it is pruned. This is normal as the juice forms a protective film on the wound. The process takes place step by step.
- At the first stage, you will need to prepare the tool. Pruning shears or special scissors are ideal for the procedure, but they should not have been used before on plants that are sick or infested with pests. It is best to disinfect the instrument with alcohol.
- Find 2 branches that form a V-shape from the trunk. Place your finger over them: this will be the place where you need to cut.
- Cut off the trunk 1–3 cm above the V-shaped branches. Hold the scissors at a 45 ° angle. The cut must be clean, no extra branches and leaves remain.
- Remove branches from the top and sides of the tree.
- Cut off shoots with dry or brown leaves.
- Trim the tree to half its size. You should not carry out strong pruning at one time, otherwise the plant may hurt, the growth of the tree will stop.
Careful pruning each year helps to maintain the correct size of the money tree so that it remains compact, grows beautifully, and does not grow too tall. Cut no more than 1/3 of the branches from the trunk at a 45 ° angle: this helps to activate new growth. To form a crown and keep the tree healthy, dead branches are removed completely or to the site where they are still alive. The top stems are removed to prevent the money tree from growing after it reaches the desired height. Cut off new stems that form at the base of the trunk if they grow near the ground.
If a grower is trying to get a stem that needs to grow in a certain direction, correct pruning is very important.
New shoots tend to form along previously made cuts, which is why a 45 ° cut angle is so important. To activate the growth of a new branch, you will need to make a cut on the top of the trunk. You can also provoke the growth of the rod to one side or at the desired angle.
Even light pruning of the plant helps to strengthen and stimulate the growth of the main stem. Regular treatment not only helps the trunk to support the weight of the leaves, but also increases its size through induced root growth. Callus formation should be controlled and removed along with old foliage. There are two methods of crown formation:
The difference between them is that the first option is more often used for mature trees, the second. for young.
In the first case, a growth bud is found and carefully removed with nail scissors or simply pinched off. Pruning is a more radical intervention in which whole branches are removed. In this case, the cut should be a couple of centimeters above the growth bud. Small shoots are removed to the trunk. No additional processing is required, just wait until the place is slightly dry.
Novice growers need to remember that it will not work to give the tree a round shape the first time. The procedure should be carried out on a regular basis so that the crown of the plant gets an attractive decorative appearance. Even removing large branches does not harm the flower, but it rejuvenates it. If you want the crown to be voluminous, you need to plant only one sprout in one container, since more trees form thickets. When 4 pairs of leaves appear, you will need to remove the bud from the last one. The procedure is carried out regularly.
The procedure for making a round crown is easy to master, it is necessary for the grower to pinch the growth buds from the side shoots, and not just at the top. In this case, the crown will form simultaneously in different directions. Making a thick trunk near a tree is also easy: you only need to grow long shoots. All foliage along the trunk is removed.
When is pruning necessary?
There are several reasons why you might need to prune the money tree:
- giving an attractive decorative look;
- removal of diseased and fungus-infected shoots;
- stimulating growth;
- restraining plant growth.
It is necessary to remove extra shoots if the flower becomes too tall or wide for the space allotted to it. Branches or leaves knocking out from the top of the tree spoil the view and create an uneven shape. As soon as these appear on the flower, it’s time to trim them to change the shape of the crown. In addition, pruning helps stimulate the growth of new, healthy shoots. From time to time it is useful to rejuvenate the plant, but this should be done during a strictly allotted vegetative period.
You should not cut off the bastard during flowering, because then the whole color will fall off.
There is only one justification for the procedure during this period: Crassula is ill and an immediate removal of shoots affected by bacterial rot is required, otherwise the whole flower will die. Brown or wilted leaves are regularly removed. If the grower has noticed dry, wilting, or brown outgrowths, you can remove them without worrying about the tree. Such changes in appearance may be a sign that the air in the room is too dry, or the plant is standing in a draft, it may not have enough natural light, or it falls directly on the foliage, burning it.
The fat woman undergoes the procedure at any time of the year when infected with bacterial rot. This disease cannot be treated, there are no effective remedies, so the only thing that can help save the plant is timely pruning. And it also requires pruning any new branches on the tree that grow down: this is the correct formation of the crown. Remove branches that intersect or are at the wrong angle. Pruning is needed to create an open space, thanks to which the air blows through the crown well, moisture does not collect in it and, accordingly, the foliage does not rot.
How to prune the money tree correctly?
- When is pruning necessary?
- When can you do?
- The ways
- Follow-up care
Pruning indoor plants helps them grow better, forms a good crown, but it is important to carry it out correctly. Most growers do not touch the money tree. In fact, he also needs to remove excess shoots.
When can you do?
It is not difficult to form a money tree, it is enough to study the basics of this art. Prune regularly in the spring. If you arrange the trunk and top during this period, the tree will keep its shape better. The procedure is carried out from March to May. In the summer, corrective pinching is done, asymmetrically developing shoots are removed, and new growth is stimulated where the crown seems bare.
When working with braided ficus, it is cut evenly along all trunks. In the winter, all dead or dying branches are harvested as they use the plant resources necessary for normal growth and the creation of new leaves. Diseased branches are cut off immediately.
New buds are pinched at the stage of their appearance in order to immediately form the correct crown. After any trimming, follow-up care is essential.
- Wicker Money Tree requires a little water. Watering once a week is sufficient. Any grower should know that the amount of moisture introduced depends not only on the temperature in the room, but also on the size of the container, the composition of the soil.
- Water the roots of the tree when the soil becomes dry to the touch. Use a watering can or long-necked jug to get to the roots of the plant, as water on the stem or leaves can cause rotting. In winter, the amount of watering is significantly reduced. The colder it is in the room, the less moisture the flower needs.
- The money tree loves well-drained soil. Water should not be allowed to stagnate in the ground, as the roots and stem will begin to rot. As a result of the putrefactive process, the plant ceases to receive the required amount of oxygen and nutrients, the foliage changes its color, begins to fall off. Getting rid of rot takes a lot of time and effort, sometimes the money tree dies. Therefore, the grower will need to take care of the quality of the soil, to prevent waterlogging. The soil should contain a mixture of earth and fine gravel, which is placed in a pot with one or more drainage holes. It is they who allow excess water to flow freely onto the pallet. Some bonsai grow well in a mixture of peat, vermiculite and perlite in a 2X1X1 ratio.
- It is necessary to replant the tree every 2-3 years. If the grower notices that the root system has filled the pot, it’s time to change the container. The best time for this is mid-summer. The flower is removed from the pot and placed in new soil and a new container. You can cut off some roots, remove damaged, weak, old ones. For this, a simple pruner is used, but only necessarily treated with alcohol.
- Money trees are very hardy and not susceptible to disease, but if whiteflies or aphids invade, you can fight them with a solution of soap and warm water. Processing is carried out in a bath or outside, if it is warm there. An increase in moisture is always detrimental to any insect. The procedure is repeated as needed. After it, you will definitely need to wait until the water in the pot drains before removing the flower to its usual place.
- For the money tree, it is worth choosing a place with a moderate amount of sunlight. This plant can survive in different conditions, but for its normal development it is worth taking care that there is the same amount of shade and sun during the day. East and west windows are the best place to grow a flower. At the first signs of a lack of light, artificial lighting can be installed.
- It is important to avoid exposure to direct sunlight for extended periods of time as this can result in burns. A bright but indirect light is ideal for a money tree, so it is better to place the flower behind a curtain, not allowing foliage to come into contact with the glass.
- As a tropical plant, the money tree can withstand extreme temperature swings. Its growth slows down a little against the background of an increase in air temperature, but this does not harm the tree. Similarly, low temperatures can do little damage, but nothing serious will happen until it drops to –2 ° C.
- From time to time it is required to make top dressing. To enrich the soil with additional nutrients, a diluted complex liquid fertilizer can be applied for several months from spring to late autumn.
- Brown dry leaves are a symptom of lack of necessary moisture in the air or a sign of poor lighting. These trees can be shocked when moved to a different environment, so they need to be given time to adjust to their new environment. The plant should be in a draft-free location, away from batteries and other heaters, vents and air conditioners.
- Sometimes stress after pruning is manifested by leaf fall. During this period, it is worth placing the plant in a brightly lit place and leaving it there until the tree is restored. An increase in humidity around it can also help. You can use a spray bottle or automatic humidifiers, place a container of water and pebbles nearby. The main thing is to prevent water from entering the foliage surface.
How to form a money tree correctly, see the next video.
How to prune a plum
Since the plum is predominantly a bushy tree, it is not possible to form a plant with a central trunk from it. Another form of trimming is suitable here. a bowl-shaped.
If you have hybrids from Japan and America at your disposal, then they need to cut off more branches than plum varieties from Europe. The top should be open for free access of sunlight to the lower branches. If the branches bend too much to the ground, then they should be shortened.
Pruning trees: when and how to prune trees correctly
The best times for pruning are late winter and early spring, before new growth begins. During this period, pruning is done on a large number of garden plants, which include fruit trees.
Pruning trees is essential for maintaining plant health, for giving them strength and beauty. In fruiting crops, this procedure helps to increase the yield.
The basic rules for pruning any type of tree are: using clean and sharp tools, making a cut under the sore spots of the tree, timely processing of the cut.
How to prune peach and apricot
Such fruitful trees are characterized by large branch growth, so it is worth pruning them in large quantities to improve the yield criteria for quality. To make it convenient to work with these trees in the future, cut off the top of the crown. Don’t forget about the branches that grow close to the ground.
Once pruning is complete, do not over-fertilize as this will cause the tree to grow new branches quickly. Due to the rapid growth of branches in summer, the tree can be damaged in the winter season.
Types of trimming
There are 3 types of trimming:
- Thinning. This pruning method is characterized by the deletion of an entire branch. It is pruned where it branches off from a larger branch or trunk. This method is rarely used, since thinning does not entail growth stimulation and only reduces the weight of the plant. This method is suitable for decorative purposes so that the plant does not look too massive.
- Non-selective cropping. Its essence lies in cutting off branches anywhere, which will stimulate dormant buds to regrow spinning shoots. This method helps to increase the density of the plant.
- Selective cropping. According to her, pruning should be done to the nearest bud or side branch. The diameter of the remaining branch is equal to half the diameter of the removed shoot. This method reduces the height of the tree.
How to prune apple and pear trees
It is necessary to trim the tree according to the tiered crown type. As it ages, the main shoot may bend over due to heavy fruit, preventing sunlight from reaching the lower branches. In this case, it is worth cutting out the top of the main shoot.
In this situation, sunlight will penetrate into the center of the crown, and new branches will grow upward, replacing the carved central trunk. Trim side branches as necessary to easily reach any part of the plant.
How to properly prune fruit trees
For many years my aunt rejoiced at the generous harvest of apples from her apple tree at her summer cottage. But as time went on, and the harvest became less and less, until the tree stopped bearing fruit at all. The aunt decided that the climatic conditions were to blame, but the problem was different: she did not cut the branches of the tree.
By pruning the branches of fruit-bearing trees, you relieve the plant of the extra weight of the fruit and allow sunlight to penetrate into the center of the crown. The sun’s rays and air penetrating into the center of the crown ensure better circulation and prevent the plant from getting sick.
Tree pruning is distinguished by three types of crown:
- tiered with center conductor
- changed leader
If the tree has not been pruned before the start of fruit formation, then pruning will have to be done more forcefully, with cutting and reducing the size of the branches. This is necessary to increase the yield of the tree and create a crown structure that does not bend or break under the weight of the crop.
Trees should be pruned once a year. This way, the plant will not suffer from severe pruning over a longer period of time. It is possible to cut as many branches as the tree has grown over the past year.
Important! However, it must be remembered that when cutting off old branches formed in the last year, the number of branches cut should not exceed 1/3 of all branches of the plant.
First of all, it is the old branches that should be removed. If you are dealing with dwarf trees, then you should not get carried away with pruning the branches as well as with ordinary trees. Smaller trees than normal trees grow more slowly.
Some varieties of apple trees, pears and plums differ in the formation of fruits on medium-sized branches, therefore, if the crown has become too thick, you can safely cut off old and unproductive branches.
Watch the growth of horizontal branches, as branches that grow vertically, that is, upward, give a large increase, but at the same time their yield decreases.
If the branches, also directed vertically, grow downward, then their productivity will be low due to a lack of sunlight. Therefore, you should cut off the shoots that grow up and down, leaving horizontal.
For a more complete understanding of the tree pruning process, watch the tutorial video for beginners with step-by-step instructions:
How to prune cherries
In a newly planted cherry, a crown is created with a main conductor, which, in older plants, is removed, and an altered leader crown comes to replace the longline type of crown.
Pruning is done similar to pruning the branches of a peach, but not in such a large amount, otherwise in winter the tree will be damaged by the cold, which will certainly affect the lifespan of the cherry.
Methods for creating a beautiful and fluffy crown
There are the following methods for forming a beautiful and fluffy crown of a money tree:
- Pruning. Pruning the bastard should be as needed, but only once a year. in early spring. This method consists in shortening already grown tree branches to a certain length, depending on the shape of the crown. Excess branches that make the crown too thick must be cut off completely. The operation is carried out with a sharp knife or garden shears;
- Pinching is a method of removing excess growth points. They are pinched without waiting for a strong lengthening of the shoot. After that, the branches of the bastard begin to branch intensively. Pinching is a process that does not have a clear execution time. It is carried out as needed;
- Complex method. Most quickly, the crown of a fat woman is formed by an integrated method. The plant should be pruned in early spring. During the growing season, monitor the growth of shoots and pinch them as needed.
Pinching is an alternative to pruning the money tree. This is an operation in which the buds are removed at the points of shoot growth. After that, usually, instead of a removed bud, 2 young shoots grow, intensive branching begins.
Pinching is carried out with tweezers or nail scissors, carefully removing the bud without damaging the neighboring leaves. You can remove such a kidney with your fingers. At the same time, they do not tear it off, but twist it.
Pinching is carried out at the moment when the shoot reaches the required length. It should not outgrow, as the overgrown shoot will have to be cut off. Therefore, pinching is carried out at any time of the year as needed, except for the winter dormant period, when the fat woman does not grow.
Why do you need pruning a fat woman
The money tree at home needs to be pruned regularly. This is one of the essential parts of caring for this plant. Why do you need to prune the money tree at home? Here are the main reasons why this procedure is performed:
- The need to renew the plant and accelerate its growth;
- Conducting sanitary measures;
- Giving the crown of a tree to the required shape;
- Rejuvenation of old plants.
Young plants and specimens of a more respectable age sometimes need updating. Over time, the old leaves die off and fall off, the branches are greatly elongated and bare. The plant looks unkempt and slightly decorative. Such an instance must be cut off in order to restore its beauty, rapid growth and development.
Plants usually branch poorly without pruning, elongate greatly and lodge. They don’t look like trees. Trimming the forming crown will help with this. Sanitary pruning is essential to remove dry and damaged branches and to fight fungal infections on plant leaves and branches.
This is a radical intervention that causes new shoots to grow rapidly. After that, Crassula retains its attractiveness for several years. When can you cut a fat woman? This procedure is useful only at the end of the dormant period, when the plant has not yet begun its active growth, therefore, you need to cut the fat woman in early spring.
Money tree pruning rules
The money tree is a very beautiful succulent that looks like a small tree. However, maintaining this beauty takes time and effort, as the plant itself quickly outgrows and becomes unattractive. For the fat woman to be fluffy and beautiful, it must be properly trimmed annually.
How to cut a young fat woman at home
The youngest specimens of money trees can be pruned very easily and quickly. Usually a young bastard is a rooted and growing stalk. It has no side shoots. If you do not prune the money tree, it grows upward without branching. Pruning a fat woman at home will help make it look like a tree.
Cutting the cutting is carried out depending on what height it has. A long stalk over 20 cm in length must be cut so that the remaining stump is 15-20 cm high. The cut is made 1 cm above a pair of leaves. Then, over time, lateral shoots will begin to grow from the axils of the upper leaves.
If the stalk has a length of 15 to 20 cm, it does not need to be cut, but pinched. To do this, remove the uppermost point of growth on the handle. This can be done with tweezers, nail scissors, or even your fingers.
If a young money tree is already grown up and has several lateral shoots, its crown can be significantly increased. To do this, pinch all the upper points of growth of the shoots. After that, the crown of the tree begins to branch intensively.
Crown formation options
Usually, when growing a money tree, one of the 2 most common options for forming a crown is chosen:
- Bush. The bushy form of the bastard requires minimal intervention. It does not need to be cut frequently. However, it should not be left to grow without forming at all. A rooted stalk can grow upward without branching, and then break under its own weight. Therefore, in the plant from which the bush is formed, you also need to cut off the top or pinch the top bud. All lateral shoots in the lower part of the plant are not removed. This forms a lush bush. If the lower part of the plant is bare, you need to cut the lower shoots by half or ¾ so that they start up young shoots;
- Stamp. They begin to cut the standard form in the same way as the bush. But shoots are left only in its upper part. As it grows, all lower branches are removed, forming a bare trunk. The upper part is cut off and the buds are pinched, creating a rounded crown. The standard forms of the tree-like jellyfish have a thick bare trunk 15-25 cm high, depending on the size of the plant. The crown can be round or elongated, green and lush.
Caring for a fat woman at home after pruning
Immediately after trimming, the fat woman must be rearranged to partial shade. Decreased lighting promotes faster healing of damage. It should also be noted that under intense lighting there is a risk that the tree will begin to shed its leaves. After 2 weeks, you can start transplanting the tree.
The plant is transplanted by transshipment into a pot with a larger diameter. You should not take a very spacious flowerpot. It should be 1 cm larger than the previous one.A drainage layer up to 3 cm thick is laid on the bottom of the pot.
The transplanted tree should also not be exposed to bright light immediately. After transplanting, it is advisable to keep it in partial shade for another 1 week, and then resume bright lighting. If the jellyfish transplant was carried out last year, it should not be transplanted again.
In this case, you can get by with regular feeding. If a transplant is not necessary, the plant can be brought into the light after 2 weeks in partial shade. Watering after pruning does not change. In the event that the plant is transplanted, after transplanting it is not watered for 2-3 days.
How to Trim an Oak Tree So That it Can Heal Correctly to Avoid Rotting
They nourish the bastard much better than other houseplant formulations. But if there are no special fertilizers, you can use mixtures for decorative foliage plants. They are bred to get 2 times less concentration.