How to unscrew a Phillips screwdriver bolt
How to unscrew a small bolt?
Tape it up, then find a small screwdriver and screw it on. A box cutter is perfect for that. Buy a screwdriver for your glasses. in the optic.
Press down on the screwdriver for a better connection between the screw and the screwdriver. Don’t wiggle the screwdriver while the glue dries! After waiting a while (depending on how quickly the glue dries), carefully, without sudden movements, begin to unscrew the screw, gently increasing the force.
What to do if a screw won’t unscrew?
Instead of a knife, you can use a CD, if the screw is not screwed too tight, you can unscrew it with your fingernail, a plastic bank card, you can use a coin, or a metal ruler, a blade from a hacksaw for metal and. т. д. If the screw is for a Phillips screwdriver, on the contrary, you need a knife with a sharp end.
If the hexagon is small, you can hammer a TORX star of the right size into it and unscrew it. If the head is accessible, you can use a pair of pliers, a nail wrench, or a hand vise to try and unscrew the screw. A hammer and chisel almost always help if there is room.
How to remove a screw without a screwdriver
wikiHow is run like a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by more than one author. There were 9 people(s) who worked on this article, including anonymously, to edit and improve it.
Number of views of this article: 212 090.
It often happens that there is no screwdriver handy when a screw (or screws) must be removed in an emergency. Although using a screwdriver is the easiest and safest way to remove a screw, there are various ways to do it without a screwdriver if you do not have one or cannot find one with the right shape.
- Often the corners formed by intersecting cavities get ground and brittle, making it very difficult to remove such screws. So be very careful when performing the described methods so as not to damage the screw.
Use your fingernail. It is only useful if the screw is not tightened too much. Insert the fingernail into the long recess and turn it counterclockwise.
- Make sure that you do not saw the surface of the object or material into which the screw is screwed.
- Remove the screw with a flathead screwdriver or another flat object, such as a credit card.  X
- If the screw is tightened too much this method will not work.
- Be very careful when using the lighter to avoid accidents and melt the end of the brush slowly to control the process.
Use this method to remove the slotted screw. A flat head screw is a screw that has one indentation in the head (from edge to edge of screw head). If you do not have a flat-blade screwdriver you can use any flat object to remove such screw.
Use a plastic card, like a bank card. Insert the card into the recess and turn it counterclockwise. Make sure you don’t need a card, because you might damage it while unscrewing the screw.
Use the “ear” of an aluminum can (beer or beverage can). Break off the can lug and put it in the recess on the head of the screw. Turn the lug counterclockwise.
Use a coin. Try inserting a coin into the recess and turning it counterclockwise.
Use your fingernail. This will only work if the screw is not tightened too much. Insert the nail into the recess and turn it counterclockwise.
- It is very easy to damage the slotted edge of a Torx screw, so be very careful when using alternate tools to remove these screws.
- In the case of a Torx-protected screw, insert a flathead screwdriver between any ray of the recess and the rod that is in the center of that recess.
- To remove Torx-protected screws they must be turned clockwise.
If you want to remove a Torx-protected screw with an ordinary Torx screwdriver, get rid of the center spike on the head of the Torx-protected screw. Take a core punch (or similar flat tool), position the end of it at the base of the Torx head and hit the core punch with a hammer to remove the core.  X Source of information
What can replace the Phillips screwdriver
The first thing to do is to look closely at the screw. If one indentation is longer than the other, unscrewing is much easier.
Otherwise, there is a high probability of grooving, which can cause damage to the entire product. You can replace a Phillips head screwdriver in the following ways.
- Coin of any denomination. The main thing is that its edge fits into the cavity of the screw. You just have to insert a coin into the screw and turn it counter-clockwise.
- If a screw is loose, insert a fingernail into the slot and twist it as you would a screwdriver.
- Insert the flat tip of a knife into the slot and unscrew the screw. Here you need to be careful because low-quality knife can bend, break, and the screw remains in place.
- A CD would be a great way to replace a screwdriver. But this counterpart is only good for low-torque screws. Otherwise the disk will break.
- If the slots are too narrow, you can enlarge them with a metal hacksaw, and then use whatever is comfortable for you to unscrew.
- If you have a flat-blade screwdriver of the appropriate size, use it.
- Melt the handle of the toothbrush, and then insert it into the slot of the screw. When the plastic hardens, you can unscrew it. But this method will not be effective if the screw is screwed too tight.
Hammer and chisel
A hammer and chisel can be used to unscrew the bolt.
It is necessary to set the chisel on the edge of the bolt head at an angle. It is necessary to point the tip of the chisel in the direction of unscrewing the bolt and hit the chisel hard with the hammer.
With this method, you can unscrew almost any rusted bolt. Alternatively, hit the wrench, but without exerting much force. If the “culprit” does not unscrew, there is a chance that the wrench will “lick off” the edges of the bolt.
When the craftsman sees a corroded screw with damaged edges, he should begin the work with a pre-treatment. With its help, it will remove dirt, rust, reduce the resistance of the bolt. Then it is necessary to proceed directly to the procedure of how to unscrew a screw with stripped thread.
If the facets of the bolt flats are slapped off, disconnecting it will require a strong grip with the tool used. It is ensured by the use of a gas wrench. It can unscrew even fasteners that have no edges, almost completely. It is important to consider that the handle was long enough for the procedure to require moderate effort.
The use of socket wrenches can provide a good grip. It must be remembered that its strength depends on the exact size of the tool. If the fastener uses a washer, in some cases you can facilitate the unscrewing by breaking it with a hammer and chisel.
The use of these tools helps in most cases, but not all. If it was not successful, you will need to apply other methods.
Tool kit that can come in handy for unscrewing bolts Source sdelaysam-svoimirukami.ru
Using destructive methods
The following methods have in common that when they are used, the bolt is broken. However, if the other options are unsuccessful, you should use.
If you saw off the head of the bolt with an angle grinder or remove it with a hammer and chisel, you can leave the threaded part embedded in the workpiece to be fastened. A notch in the flat must be made in the longitudinal direction which can then be used with a screwdriver.
Sometimes the rest of the bolt is not amenable to such attempts. In this case you can unscrew a snapped hex bolt by trying to turn it with a screwdriver, using a hammer to help you do it.
If the edges are so torn off that it is completely impossible to use them, these methods can be used:
- A deep kerf with vertical walls is made on the bolt head. Next, a screwdriver can be used to unscrew it.
- Sometimes a hammer and chisel are used to turn a bolt, in which case you must use the following method of how to unscrew a torn off hexagon bolt. The blows are applied slightly askew and are done in such a way that the bolt gradually twists around its axis.
- A TORX star can be used. A slot is hammered into the flat bar until the exact shape of the hole is obtained. After that, the screw is unscrewed.
- A special part can be used. the extractor. To do this, use a drill to drill the bolt along its longitudinal direction. Insert it into the resulting hole and remove the fastener.
- A drill with reverse can be helpful. Its peculiarity is rotation in the direction that corresponds to the unscrewing of the screw. To do the job, drill a thin hole, then use the tool to turn it so as to unscrew the screw.
One of the most effective ways to remove a screw is to resharpen the flat. It is again made hexagonal, but this time its size will be smaller than the previous one. Then the right wrench is chosen and the fastener is disconnected. The processing of edges is performed using a file.
Watching the video you can learn more about how to unscrew a torn bolt:
What you can unscrew a screwdriver with?
Any type of screw can be tried with a flathead screwdriver. Using an angle grinder or metal saw, make a straight slot in the head of the screw. But remember, the slot must be at least ½ the height of the head, otherwise you risk destroying it. This method can be used in combination with other.
Tape it shut, then find small screwdrivers and screw it in. A box cutter is ideal for this. Buy a screwdriver for your glasses. In optics.
What kinds of screwdrivers there are?
A screwdriver, which working part in cross-section is executed in the form of a square, is known as a square slot. Another name for this option is SQUARE HEAD. Less common is the SQUARE TEMPER RESISTANT. a square with a hole in the center for the guide.
How to remove a screw with a torn edge? You can try to make a new thread on the head of the fastener yourself. To do this, you should use a metal saw with the thinnest possible blade. An alternative is to use a miniature angle grinder. To create a kerf should be extremely careful not to finally destroy the head of the screw.
Why a rusty bolt or nut is difficult to unscrew
Any metal fastener over time inevitably subjected to corrosion, rust. The process is accelerated if the bolts, nuts are often exposed to an aggressive environment:
- in contact with water;
- interaction with chemicals, including detergents;
- Outdoor dirt, dust, caustic salts. they speed up corrosion.
Despite the special protective coatings against rust, if the surface of the fastener was even slightly damaged, over time, the process of destruction is inevitable.
After some time has passed, the rusted bolt must be removed and replaced, but often the problem arises. it does not unscrew. Because of metal oxidation processes, rust builds up on fasteners and parts and surfaces “stick” together. If this process develops at the location of the bolt threads, the situation becomes even more difficult.
How to unscrew a screw on your iPhone without a screwdriver?
Although the bolts have tiny threads, but they are placed on the surface. Therefore, a knife with a thin and sharp end can be used to unscrew. Other sharp objects such as needles, scissors and awl are also used.
If it’s really loose, using a strong magnet, you can simply pull it out. If there is no magnet or there is no place to get one, and the self-tapping screw is easy to twist, you can epoxy glue a 40-50 mm nail to the self-tapping screw, and then, after a day, unscrew it carefully.
Ways to unscrew bolts, screws, screws with flattened edges
If you could not unscrew the fasteners that have slipped edges using the usual method, you can use one of several proven options.
This method is used when unscrewing bolts, because they have a protruding head, for which you can grab hold of. To do this:
- Clean the bolt head.
- Lubricate the joint with kerosene or diesel fuel, WD-40 type liquid helps a lot, and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Unscrew the bolt. Do it with a torque wrench. It generates a lot of force and it is possible to grasp even a round head well.
The disadvantage of this method is that it is not always possible to reach the required bolt with a gas spanner.
Cutting new faces
If it is a large bolt, it can be resharpened with an angle grinder. It is enough to make only 4 of them and unscrew the bolt with a smaller wrench. It is possible to cut new faces on the bolt with a file, but this is more complicated and longer. On the head of the screw or screw you can make a cut with a metal hacksaw or angle grinder.
Hammer and chisel or impact screwdriver
This option is more suitable for slugged nuts or fairly large screws. Place the chisel on the head of the fixing element and gradually turn the screw or nut by hitting it with a hammer. Small screws or screws can be unscrewed with a hammer and screwdriver. After loosening the fastener, the work can be done with a regular screwdriver.
A band saw or a piece of rubber
In this case a small piece of medical tape or a piece of dense rubber is used. The selected material is placed on top of the head of the screw or screw, and then pressed with a screwdriver and gradually turn it. The rubber will help to increase friction and solve the problem.
An extractor is a special tool that is used to unscrew screws, bolts, or screws that have had their heads pulled off or broken.
Extractor. a tool for unscrewing screws, bolts or screws with stripped or broken heads
- Use a thin drill bit to make a small hole in the head. In some cases, the extractor can simply be hammered into the plucked slot of the screw.
- Select an extractor of the required diameter. Hammer or screw it into the prepared hole. It depends on whether you are using a regular or a screwdriver.
- Unscrew the bolt.
Regular or left-handed drill bit
Left-handed drill bits with counterclockwise rotation are commercially available. They improve the alignment of the tool and reduce the load on the drill bit, which gives better performance and accuracy of drilling. By inserting such a tool into the drill, you can unscrew a screw or a screw with a pierced head. If you do not have a left-handed drill bit, you can try to drill out a jammed fastener with a regular drill bit. In this case, take a drill bit with a diameter smaller than the diameter of the bolt or screw. Act carefully so you do not have to later cut the thread for the new fastener.
To the head of the problem screw or screw using epoxy glue or glue called “cold welding” fix a nut of the appropriate diameter. After the glue has firmly fixed it, use a wrench to turn the nut and together with it unscrew the screw or screw.
If there is a welding machine nearby, you can fix a new nut on the head of the bolt or screw by welding it on. After that, it can be unscrewed immediately.
Solder and a soldering iron
If you need to unscrew a small screw or screw, a soldering iron and solder are used:
- Drop heated solder on the head of the fastener with bevelled edges.
- Until the tin is hardened, insert a screwdriver and wait a few minutes.
How not to tear off the edges
To prevent a problem such as torn edges of a bolt or screw or screw splines from catching you unawares, you must follow some simple rules:
- Buy only high-quality fasteners, which have high strength and reliability;
- when tightening and loosening screws or screws, do not allow the screwdriver to slip in the slots. It leads to their erasure and unscrewing such fasteners will be difficult;
- Always keep an eye on the condition of the tool. if your screwdriver or wrench has a slipped fit, it makes it harder to remove the screw, bolt, or screw.
It is much easier to prevent slipping on bolts, screws, and screws than to remove damaged parts afterwards.
Do not panic if you have such a problem as a slipped off bolt head or a slot in the head of a screw or screw. There are many ways to solve it. It is necessary to estimate adequately the situation that has arisen, and choose one of the available options.