How to cut a 45 degree ceiling plinth
If you tried as best you could, but a small gap at the junction still “got out” do not be discouraged. In wooden fillets, such a gap is easily covered with furniture wax. To cover the gap on the baseboards made of polyurethane, foam, plastic or gypsum, a putty is perfect. Naturally, the color of the composition should match the color of the skirting board.
All cracks in the area of the ceiling fillets are sealed with putty.
Wide ceiling fillets are certainly beautiful, but they can only be mounted on perfectly flat walls. If the plane of the wall in relation to the ceiling is a wave, then it is better to buy narrow polyurethane fillets, they are elastic and will smooth out this drawback.
Perfectly flat walls are needed for a wide fillet.
Most of the questions arise about how to cut the wallpaper for the ceiling plinth. There is nothing complicated here: the wallpaper is glued with a slight overlap on the baseboards and when the wall is completely glued, take a large spatula, put it in the corner and cut off the excess along the blade with a knife.
How to cut wallpaper for a ceiling plinth with your own hands.
But keep in mind. neither the knife nor the spatula can be torn off the wall until you have passed the entire plane. That is, they put a spatula from the corner, cut off the wallpaper along the length of the blade, and then, without taking the blade off the wall, move and cut it until you reach the next corner.
Pattern Crop method
Most often, both ceiling and floor skirting boards need to be cut at 45º. If there is no specialized tool nearby, then an impromptu miter box can be drawn on a notebook leaf. From the school geometry course, we know that the diagonal of any square in relation to the base has an angle of inclination of 45 degrees.
The 45º angle can be set by attaching the plinth to the diagonal of the square.
Next, you need to draw a square and draw 2 diagonals in it. these will be the required 45º. You just have to correctly attach the plinth to the leaf and mark it. True, in order to cut off the plinth exactly without guides, you need a good eye and a right hand.
Method Classic miter box
The classic miter box is a U-shaped bed with slots in the opposite sides. A part of a suitable size is inserted into this stock and sawed off with a hacksaw through the slots in the sides. The idea is not new, the tool is already several hundred years old, but despite the simplicity, not everyone knows how to properly cut the corner of the ceiling plinth using such a miter box.
Not everyone knows how to cut a ceiling plinth in a corner using a classic miter box.
Tip: when trimming, the ceiling plinths are applied to the side of the miter box that is closer to you, and the floor plinths, on the contrary, must be applied to the side of the tool farthest from you. This is not a dogma, but it is much easier to work this way.
It is easier to work with skirting boards, since the miter box lies on a horizontal plane, it is easier for you to orient yourself in the position of the skirting board. People most often make mistakes when trimming the ceiling fillet, it is simply incorrectly put into the tool. There is a simple but important rule here.
Important: the side of the ceiling fillet, which touches the wall, should be directed to the upper edge of the side of the miter box, and that part of the plinth that borders on the ceiling is placed on the bottom of the miter box.
As you know, there are 2 sides to the corner, so, in order to make less mistakes, train yourself to insert the bar that will be mounted on the right side of the corner into the miter box on the right, and the bar that is attached to the left, put it into the miter box on the left. Details about the intricacies of using a classic miter box are described in the video in this article.
How to properly trim the inner and outer corners of the ceiling fillet.
In addition to the classic U-shaped miter box, there are two more types of similar designs. a professional and a rotary tool. As for the professional version, only masters use it. The device is quite bulky, but it turns at any angle and has a hacksaw that can be fixed in the desired position.
Professional miter box with the ability to fix the hacksaw and part.
The swivel device can be safely called a “” miter box. The only advantage here is the ability to clearly fix the angle of rotation of the bar. On the one hand, it is easy to work with it. set the corner, put it on the plinth and cut it off. But on the other hand, you need to get used to such a tool, if you do not have experience with a hacksaw, then you should not take a rotary miter box.
Tip: when choosing a classic U-shaped miter box, firstly, do not take Chinese products. And secondly, try to buy models with the possibility of rigid fixation of the part inside, one of these models is shown in the photo below.
A miter box with the possibility of fixing a part inside is much more convenient to work.
How to cut a skirting board at any angle and without gaps. 3 working ways from a practitioner
There are more than enough tips on how to cut a plinth at 45 degrees on the net now, the only bad thing is that most of them are given by people who have never done this. Next, from the point of view of practice, I will tell you how to cut skirting boards at the corners with your own hands in 3 options, and you will learn about both traditional methods and folk universal recipes.
The science of how to properly trim ceiling skirting boards in corners is not as difficult as it might seem.
Three working ways to trim skirting boards
For floor and ceiling skirting boards, the trimming instructions are almost the same. But if on the floor the curved corner can be covered with something, then on the ceiling this is already a problem, so we will pay more attention to how to cut the ceiling plinths.
A few words about tools and materials
Floor skirting boards are now made of wood or polyvinyl chloride (PVC), in other words, plastic. Ceiling fillets have a slightly larger list:
The range of ceiling skirting boards is much wider than that of the floor direction.
- Polyurethane. these skirting boards have good elasticity and can bend around radial and other curved surfaces, but in any case they need to be cut at clear angles;
- Foam plinths are the simplest budget option, the price of foam plinths is low and they are cut very easily;
- PVC. the principle is the same as for floor skirting boards, but the range is much wider;
- Wooden. similar to the floor ones, only here there are still wide models;
- Gypsum. with the advent of polyurethane and polystyrene, gypsum ceiling fillets receded into the background, firstly, they are heavy, and secondly, fragile. But in fairness, it’s worth mentioning them.
Since it is impossible to properly cut the ceiling plinth and its floor counterpart without a good tool, we will dwell on this issue in a little more detail.
The best, almost perfect tool for trimming all kinds of skirting boards and more is the swing miter saw. The high-speed disc makes smooth and precise cuts, and the bed in these units can be rotated at any angle. The only problem is the serious cost of this tool.
The miter saw is almost the perfect tool for trimming skirting boards and more.
It is believed that one of the best hand tools for accurately cutting small pieces of wood is the backsaw. In principle, this is true, but to be honest, a really high-quality saw, even with the current assortment, is not easy to find. If you still decide to buy a similar tool, then take a saw with a fine tooth.
The bow saw is convenient when working with a miter box.
In theory, foam and polyurethane can be cut with any sharp and sturdy knife. But at the same time, you need to have a firm hand and at least a little experience in cutting foam. Plus, it is very problematic to cut wide fillets with a knife.
Without experience, making a clear cut with a knife is very problematic.
Personally, in the absence of trimming, I only use a hacksaw for metal. It is suitable for cutting absolutely any material, from styrofoam to wood. By the way, they often ask the question of how to cut a plastic baseboard for the floor, and so. take a hacksaw for metal and you definitely won’t be mistaken.
For trimming skirting boards, a hacksaw for metal is considered one of the best tools.
Method Applied universal
45º trimming is common, but what if you need a different angle and only have a hacksaw and a pencil? It turns out that there is a very simple way out of this situation. Plus, this method is universal, it is suitable for both external and internal corners.
Vaulted Crown Moulding. How to Find Peak Angles
over, I can assure you that those angles that visually seem to be straight, in fact, have deviations by a couple of degrees. As a result, you buy a good tool, cut it off at 45º, and when joining, the gap between the skirting boards “comes out”. This problem disappears here. And then, using an example, consider how to cut the ceiling plinth in the inner corner.
Take a fillet, apply it to one side of the corner and use it to guide 2 mowing lines, along the wall and along the ceiling.
Tip: to make the mowing line unobtrusive, they can be carried out not with a pencil, but, for example, with a nail or the edge of a knife.
All three methods described by me work, the choice depends on which tool you have in stock and what your professional skills are. If after watching the video you still have questions, welcome to the Комментарии и мнения владельцев, than I can, I will help.
How to frame a 45 degree Wall
If you are not confident in your abilities, then for both floor and ceiling skirting boards there are connecting elements that allow you to do without trimming.
Cutting and joining techniques for baguettes
In the picture above, you can see the process of cutting off the curtain rod along the slot of the miter box, but how to trim the ceiling plinth without the miter box? We offer you several options with descriptions, as well as making a template for the simplest miter box on your own. Let’s consider all the methods in order:
- Try on the cornice to the ceiling surface, run a marker line along the ceiling surface;
- To the right of the selected corner, press the product against the ceiling, draw another straight line;
- At the intersection of straight lines, mark the plinth itself with a dot, then draw the line from the markings on the baguette to its lower corner. Along it you will cut off the required corner on the fillet;
- The left corner is marked in the same way;
- After cutting both skirting boards, press them into a corner and check for precision. If there are gaps, trim the corners again. Remember. so that the bar does not become shorter than the required length, do not shorten the unmarked part of it until you achieve an exact connection;
- After adjustment, the fillet is glued or screwed on. The ceiling plinth for stretch ceilings cannot be attached to the surface of the ceiling material. it is glued only to the plane of the wall.
Attention: Do not press with great force on the foam or expanded polystyrene cornice when cutting it. it may lose its shape, and after gluing, dents and other irregularities will be visible.
The method is as follows: how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box along the outer corner of the ceiling:
- Press the plinth to the right of the corner and draw a line 200-300 mm long with a pencil or marker along the ceiling;
- Press the cornice to the left corner, mark up to the first mowing line so that the markers intersect;
- On the plank, mark the points at the crossroads of the markers and in the corner of the room;
- Connect the marked points on the cornice, cut the plinth along the markings with an angle of inclination towards the inside of the plank;
- Check the accuracy of the joint in place, trim again if necessary.
Classic baguettes are made of wood, but it is difficult to fit them exactly without the use of a factory miter box and appropriate cutting tools. Wooden baguettes are formed with a cross-cut saw, and in its absence. with a carpenter’s hacksaw with a fine tooth, an electric jigsaw or a hacksaw for cutting metal.
Important: A cornice made of polyurethane or aluminum is considered reliable in terms of moisture resistance. But the polyurethane cornice should not be exposed to temperature changes, so it is not recommended to install them in the kitchen or bathroom.
Whatever the plinth, if the angle in the room is not 90 0, then it will be difficult to make an exact cut for joining the planks. In old buildings (stalinka, Khrushchev, and even brezhnevka), the angle in the room can be formed as 88 0 or 93 0 (for a piermer), and it is problematic to cut off such an end according to a template. Then how to properly cut the corner of the skirting board without a miter box, avoiding large discrepancies and without using a complex and expensive tool? Use the presented method.
The figure shows cornices made of materials such as:
How to cut Quarter round on the chop saw
- Polyurethane (PPU);
- Polyfoam (PP);
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC);
To form an exact inner corner from the planks, follow these steps in sequence:
- Try on a baguette to the corner of the room, for example, on the right;
- Draw a fishing line with a pencil along the plinth;
- On the left side, do the same operations with the cornice;
- The point of intersection of the marker lines will be the upper mark, from which it is necessary to cut;
- Place the curtain rod in the corner and transfer the crossing point to the plank;
- Connect the upper and lower marks on the cornice with a pencil;
- Cut the ends according to the markings;
- For the second plank, the points are repeated in the same sequence.
Important: Before gluing the strips, check the accuracy of the cut: attach the curtain rods to the corner, and if there are no gaps between the fillets, attach them. If there are irregularities at the ends of the joining surfaces. trim the skirting boards more precisely.
The following solution is how to cut accurately and how to glue the skirting board without a miter box to the inner corner of the ceiling:
- Find out the fillet width;
- On the bottom, mark a point at the distance of the width of the plank;
- Connect with a diagonal line the point of the upper corner with the point of the lower mowing line, cut the product along this mowing line;
- For the second cornice, all points are repeated in the same sequence.
Working solutions for baguette preparation without miter box
Another option for trimming the plank is to create some kind of structure from thick cardboard and a wooden block. The first step is to bend the cardboard to the angle you measured in the corner of the room. Then, to the wooden block intended for cutting the corner, press the cardboard and draw the line along which you want to cut the block. this will be your template. To cut the fillet, place the wooden template on top of the plank, and cut the required angle along the block.
Current offer in the construction market. Kindecor skirting board made of expanded polystyrene, made by extrusion technology. Therefore, the ceiling slats of the Russian company “Kindecor” do not have the disadvantages of PPU cornices. The cost of cornices is much lower than foam or other analogs.
But in old houses with “floating” corners, such sets are unlikely to come in handy. in the kit you will find only angles at 45 0. 60 0 and 90 0. How to fix the situation? You need to roughly cut the end of the baguette. an angle of approximately 45 0. and then, during several fittings, cut the angle in place to the required value.
When cutting the baguette and shaping the outer corner, use this method:
- Press the plinth to the right side of the corner so that the plank protrudes beyond the corner by at least its own width;
- Use a pencil to mark the line on the ceiling;
- Press the plinth to the left side of the corner so that the plank protrudes beyond the corner by at least its own width;
- With a pencil, mark the line on the ceiling, mark the intersection of these two lines;
- Copy the markings to the plank, connect the dots with a line, cut the baguette along this mowing line;
- Check the evenness of the cuts by applying the prepared baguettes to the outer corner;
- Before gluing the ceiling plinth without a miter box, remove any errors (irregularities, chips, gaps, inconsistencies) on the fillet surfaces.
Docking of ceiling fillets without an industrial miter box
Factory miter box. it is an aluminum, plastic or wooden tray with depressions 45 0 or 90 0. Such a device is rarely used at home, so it is not found in everyone. But few also know how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box, so we will consider a few simple solutions that will allow you to dock the ceiling plinths in the corners of the room with great accuracy.
When renovating an apartment, installing a new ceiling is often necessary to create a complete design idea. The completed ceiling is decorated with beautiful fillet skirting boards. The baguettes are glued, nailed or screwed along the perimeter of the room, their position is previously marked in the corners at the joints of the walls and ceiling. Ceiling cornices are often rigid and solid strips (although there are elastic silicone ones), so they need to be beautifully docked in the corners of the room with each other, and without a miter box it is difficult to do this, but it is possible.
Fillets for framing the corners of the ceiling are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (PPU), polyurethane (PU), polystyrene (PS), polystyrene (PP), wood or metal:
- Foam decorative cornice is fragile, but this does not matter for unloaded ceiling structures. PP skirting boards can have different widths, the standard length is 1 meter, the surface is bas-relief with various patterns;
- Expanded polystyrene. the material is dense, easy to install, the edges of the cornice do not crumble during cutting;
- Aluminum or wood is the most difficult to dock. you need great accuracy, which is difficult to achieve without the use of a miter box. It is recommended to cut the corners of such cornices with a sheet for metal, to calculate the correct cutting angle, use the methods below.
Polyvinyl chloride is easily crushed, after which it is not restored. Requires caution and minimal pressure when machining
Cut with a carpenter’s cutter or a hacksaw for metal
The foam plank is fragile and crumbles easily. It is recommended to cut the PP plinth with a very sharp cutter or a special tool. an electric nichrome cutter
Cut with a carpenter’s cutter or a hacksaw for metal, hot wire clamped in clamps
It is cut with an ordinary hand or special tool (electric side saw, wood saw with fine teeth, metal blade), the cost of products is higher than PPU, PP OR PVC curtain rods
How to make a miter box template yourself
In the absence of a miter box or unwillingness to buy it, it is not necessary to purchase a special tool in order to use it once or twice in the entire history of repairs. You can make a homemade template with the same capabilities. it doesn’t take much time. As a blank for an impromptu miter box, take a board, thick paper or cardboard, and mark the required cuts on them.
Then draw two parallel mowing lines on the template, find the center in the drawing, and use a school protractor to set any corners. This simple technology gives very accurate results, while you can draw and cut any angle greater or less than 90 0.
The technology for working with a homemade miter box is no different from operations with an industrial product. The baguette should be attached to one of the lines, put the hacksaw at the selected angle, and cut off the workpiece. If you do not plan to spend money on miter box pr