How to remove the reel from a Huter grass trimmer
How to remove the spool and change the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when there is a need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Very often, when users try to unscrew the mowing head, they simply wreck it, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid it if you need to replace the tool it is recommended to get acquainted with the step-by-step instruction given below.
- Before tucking the line into the spool, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that may occur if you accidentally start the cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the head fixed on the reducer shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal bar or screwdriver in them.
- Unscrew the mowing head. You should know that the thread on the shaft of the left. So you should turn the grass trimmer reel to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. The head cover is most often held in place by clips. To remove it, you must push the latches into the housing, pushing the edges of the cover off. In case your trimmer is equipped with a semi-automatic mowing head with a button at the bottom, disassemble the head carefully, because you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when you remove the cover.
- Cut as much line as necessary. It is normally 5 meters long. Use as much cord as is shown in the instruction manual for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the filament as this will put more strain on the engine and increase gasoline consumption.
- Find the middle of the cord by folding it in half. You get a loop.
- Inside the coil, special grooves are cut (there may be holes). Insert the line loop in this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. Make sure the line is inserted as straight as possible, with no overlap and good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave about 20 cm of free fishing line and secure the ends in the grooves on the side of the spool.
- Reassemble the mowing head. Do not forget to insert spring and washer (if present) before final assembly of nozzle. Insert the spool into the housing and thread the ends of the filament through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and fasten it with the catches.
- Screw the mowing head back on the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. The grass trimmer reel will need to be wound to the left (counterclockwise). arrows).
The line does not extend automatically
If the line does not lengthen when the grass trimmer spool button lightly strikes the ground, the reasons may be.
Variant 1. a jam has occurred, i.e.е. clamping the cord between the coils. This problem is usually caused by winding the line unevenly, with binding or with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds, the cord begins to tighten under the influence of centrifugal force, resulting in a possible inter-scroll jamming of the line. To fix the problem you have to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, i.e. with even turns with good tension.
Variant 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when it hits the ground if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not sufficient to pull the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or unplug the trimmer elektrichesky for grass) and pull the line manually, pre-pressing the button.
Option 3. The line has soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the spool to freeze and does not turn when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the reel during prolonged use of the machine, the line hitting against hard objects.
- In the first case, the third-party cord may be made of low-quality and fusible materials that cannot withstand the mechanical and thermal loading. That’s why preference should be given “brand-name ” lines.
- However, if you bought lines of unknown quality and they solder frequently while working, you could follow the example of some users who, after putting the cord in the reel, moisten it with either silicone grease (from a spray bottle) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of the line strands soldering together.
- The line may also meld if it hits a hard object while mowing (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.).д.). This causes it to stretch out a bit and pull back into the head at a high rate of. The friction heats the cord, and its coils stick together. The only thing you can do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line.
Construction of a hip roof with their own hands video
Pressing the heating system in a private home with his hands video
Replacing the sills on VAZ 2106 with your own hands video
How to start a gasoline trimmer video
Sticking the ceiling plinth with your own hands video
Bumper crack repair with your own hands video
How to adjust STIHL 250 chain saw carburetor with your hands video
How to change the line in the trimmer and what is better to choose
Since the choice of trimmer for grass we have considered in the previous article, now we will tell you how to correctly fill the trimmer for grass fishing line, and what is better to select based on the criteria of work.
After you have purchased a trimmer for grass and began to use them intensively, at some point will raise the question of substitution of fishing line, as this is the most wearing element in the tool, the intense use of trimmer for grass will lead to an infrequent replacement of consumables.
How to unscrew the spool on a trimmer?
Trimmer for the grass, whether it is gasoline or electronic, is the only true solution for mowing grass in inaccessible places, with whom can not cope wheel mower.
Cutting tools in trimmers use iron knives or a special line, which is tucked into the grass trimmer spool. But, sometimes, trimmer heads in use over the years deteriorate.
Some malfunctions can be corrected by own efforts, and some require complete change of mowing head.
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs. both regular and complex. The illustration below shows the automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is included in the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Favorit), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The design of the mowing head is pretty common. It includes the following parts:
- The base of the trimmer head;
- button for the automatic filament feed;
- bobbin (spool), in which the line is tucked
- eyelets. through them the line goes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also more ordinary trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
these nozzles do not allow to change the filament length automatically (after pushing the button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Users of electro trimmer and lawn mower often face a problem with automatic mowing head. Malfunctions of the spool are usually the following:
Gardena electric grass trimmer repair (changing the spool)
If the line is not extended with a light knock on the grass trimmer‘s spool on the ground, the following conditions may be present.
Variant 1. there is a jam, i.e.е. The cord is caught between the coils. This mistake usually occurs if the user has wound the line unevenly on the spool, with crossed turns, or if the line is wound with insufficient tension.
In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high revolutions, the cord begins to tighten under the influence of centrifugal force, under the influence of which the line may be jammed between the coils.
To solve the problem you should disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, by even turns with a good tension.
Variant 4.5. very loose ends sticking out of the head. The line may not extend after hitting the ground if the line ends sticking out of the head are not long enough. There is not enough centrifugal force to stretch the line. Therefore, you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine or unplug the trimmer electric grass) and pull the line by hand, previously pressing the button.
Petrol Strimmers Head Replacement
Option 3. the line is soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the mowing head to freeze and does not even turn when pressing a button. In the main, this is due to several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating the coil during prolonged use of the unit, the impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the beginning you will like the cords of other manufacturers are made of low-quality and fusible materials, which do not hold the mechanical and thermal load. Therefore, you should give preference to “branded” lines.
- If you have got the fishing line of unknown properties, and it often solders in its time of work, you can follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the reel oil it or silicone grease (from the can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering turns of line.
- Also, the line might bind, if during mowing it hits a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.) and the line runs out.д.). As a result, it stretches a little and retracts at high speed back into the head. The friction causes the line to warm up and the wires stick together. The only thing to do to eliminate this malfunction. is to open the grass trimmer spool and rewind the line.
There are situations when a weed trimmer user notices a very sharp line flow. With all that, he never hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line.
A prerequisite for a line extending on its own, getting cut on a knife on the housing, is the lack of a spring in the mowing head.
It is not uncommon that first-time users of mowers, trying to load line in the reel, forget to install the pinch spring in the head, as it is also called completely lose it when opening the cover, and in the near future, do not even suspect its existence.
Also the line is extended without using the button, if the spring is loose. If checking the spring confirmed this fact, then under it need to put some washers to strengthen its clamping characteristics.
Owners of trimmers, mostly new, get confused, adjoining to panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or line in the spool. Quite often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid this, if a tool change is needed, it is recommended to study the step-by-step annotation below in detail.
- Before you tuck the line into the spool, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries caused by accidental start cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft should be secured by aligning the holes on the washer on the axis, and inserting there an iron bar or screwdriver.
- Unscrew the nozzle.
It is important to know that the thread on the shaft to the left. Because the grass trimmer spool should be turned to the right, in other words clockwise.
For which the design is intended, if your trimmer has an automatic mowing head, which has a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the nozzle must be carried out carefully, as you can lose the spring, which occasionally flies out when you remove the cover.
Do not exceed the maximum cross section of the fishing line, as this will lead to an overload on the engine and greater gasoline consumption.
Tuck the cord should be very even, coils are made to lie down without overlapping and with a good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave about 20 cm of free fishing line and secure it in the grooves on the reel edges.
Install the spool in the body, and the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
Steel spools for trimmers
- Take a piece of plywood or other textolite and draw a circumference of about 14 cm around it.
- Cut the disk with a jigsaw or other metal saw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk matching the cross section of the gearbox shaft. Remember to put a washer on the shaft before mounting the disc.
- On the sides of the disk of course screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on the back sides. They will serve for threading the line at them.
- To fix the line, it is possible to screw a few self-tapping screws into the plywood.
Such a home-made mowing head is attached to the shaft with a nut.
It is not possible to tighten or loosen the nut without locking the shaft.
To change the cord, you can let go of the screws, stick a piece of fishing line of the desired length and press it down again.
Also the mowing head can be made of an iron sheet to fix a fishing line on its surface. You can realize how to do this from the following video.
Installing new fishing line on the grass trimmer reel
To fit a new fishing line to the reel, do the following in reverse order. The procedure looks approximately as described below, regardless of the model of lawnmower:
Step One: Securing and Laying
Fold in half the end of the fishing line. Place the workpiece over the bobbin on each side of each half of the winding area. Wrap both halves completely around the winding drum. Threading the line through the loop.
Procedure for preparing the line engagement in the area of both winding sections of the reel. The loops are placed in the specially made notches and then the line is wound in each area
It is enough to tighten the fishing line strongly and plant the knot in the groove made on each side of the winding drum.
Step two: winding the cutting material around the sections
The next step is to wrap the fishing line around the spool, taking care. Make sure that each half is filled with its “own” winding, evenly, with no overlaps. Usually you can see arrows on the body of the spooling reel indicating the winding direction. Keep this in mind when filling the spool with line.
Step Three: Filling the head assembly
Pull the line ends through the pair of oval slots on the spool. Replace the two washers and the spring (if they are included in the construction) with the new elements provided. Bend both ends of the line at right angles.
The final technical touch of the line replacement process on the trimmer is to put the cover over the head and then lock it in place by applying pressure and a slight twist.
Pass each end through the hole that is at the base of the winding drum. Install the coil in the inner area of the head with the spring resting. Place the cover, align it with the base and with a slight downward pressure with a small counterclockwise rotation, put the cover on the tabs of the clamps. This completes the replacement procedure.
Repair of trimmers (бензокос, электрокос) Huter (Huter)
Trimmer repair should be done as soon as possible at the first signs of a breakdown, so that minor faults do not lead to more serious problems. All models are characterized by the following main units and structural elements: the drive system (motor), transmission devices, the working part (knife or fishing line), belts and handles. Breakdown can occur in any part, but some nodes fail more often than others.
Trimmers working on gasoline or electricity (as well as different models from different manufacturers) differ in design and the nature of faults. Some of them can be fixed fairly easily by your own hands, while others will require more extensive repairs or service center treatment.
Where do grass trimmer electrical faults occur and how to spot them
It happened in my practice that already twice neighbors asked for help, when their motor did not turn on. The most interesting thing is that it was fully operational, and the defect was inside the cord of the extension cord.
Therefore, I recommend that you start the proceedings by checking if it works. To do this, just plug the extension cord into the socket and measure the voltage at its end.
When using a screwdriver indicator will have to turn the power plug twice, checking the integrity of each strand by the presence of the phase on the contact of the socket.
If it is missing, it already makes sense to look for a broken wire in the power supply circuit. By the way, the insufficient voltage level can also affect the operation of the electric motor. This often happens in rural areas.
Then you have to raise the voltage in one of the most appropriate ways for your particular case. Otherwise, the electric grass trimmer can work with overload, overheat. Notice the following.
The strength of its glow allows indirectly judge the value of the power and look for a break in the place of the wire in the extension cord. The wire will just have to go over the entire length with your hands. Loss of contact usually occurs near the socket, where the mowing action is most likely to create vibrations.
If all is well with the power, we need access to the internal circuitry. To do this you have to open the screws that hold the enclosure in place. They are all on the same side, including the self-tapping screw that secures the rod.
Both halves of the case except for the screws are held in place by plastic latches. They must be opened with any flat, thin metal object, such as the blade of a knife or screwdriver.
The top cover is then easily removed. Immediately I recommend to take a camera, take a picture of the wires laying in the numerous internal channels and recesses. The photo will help in the future assembly.
After that you can proceed to the internal inspection and analysis of the serviceability of all electrical components of the circuit.
How to test the switch safely
The electrical commutations are performed by a small-sized switch that has two fixed positions:
Its operation should be checked with an ohmmeter or a wire gauge. When the button is lowered, the reading on the display will indicate a very high resistance value. ∞ or 0L, as on my device.
When the button is pressed with the fingers, electrical contact is made and the resistance drops sharply to almost zero.
How to test electrical wires
Identify breakage of cores or missing electrical contact at any point on the circuit allows you to wire a section of the circuit or measure its resistance multimeter in ohmmeter mode.
For this purpose it is enough to use even the simplified circuit of the collector motor, shown above. It allows you to consistently check all parts of the circuits of the voltage supply to the motor.
I show this process on the segment from the plug of the power cable to the contact of the switch.
When measuring, I use my multimeter Mestek MT-102. It showed a resistance of 9.3 ohms, which is quite acceptable. If a breakage is detected, you will have to deal with this place.
In this way between all the sections in series is measured and the breakage location is determined. Do not forget about the thermostat. It should always have a closed power contact when cold.
If the electronic grass trimmer was dismantled by a stranger and does not work, it makes sense to fully assess the correctness of the installation of electrical circuitry.
How to check the serviceability of the electric motor on the trimmer
What to look for on the outside
The most problematic place is usually the brush-collector assembly and bearings In an ideal condition, the plates of the collector mechanism should sparkle clean and be polished, brushes are intact and smooth, and bearings easily rotate without backlash.
The small amount of carbon dust contamination from the brushes shown in the photo below is considered operational and is quite acceptable.
It is advisable to wash off such carbon deposits during preventive inspection with ethyl alcohol, cologne or even plain vodka. After that, the copper plates are wiped with a clean rag, paying attention to the absence of chips, cracks, and scratches.
Below I show worn collector plates, damaged by poor brush fit due to heavy wear on the brushes or loose springs.
Such a collector when working creates a permanent spark or even a circular fire on the entire surface of the circumference.
How to make electrical measurements
At my site a separate article in detail described check any electric motor multimeter. At the end of it I will tell you three methods for checking collector motors.
Below are two pictures of the rotor resistance evaluation by multimeter and indirect measuring method. The technology for checking them is set out in the same article.
In addition to the rotor winding, damage can occur on the stator. The method of detection is described there.
When the windings are overheated due to increased loads, insulation damage and the occurrence of inter-twist circuits is possible. In this situation, the motor will not be able to develop the speed at rated power.
Such testing is carried out under load or by taking the voltampere characteristics, which is not easy to do at home to an untrained person.
The owner of the Elektromaster BY video shows in detail how to check the armature and stator at home.
In some cases, when such a failure is detected, it is even economically more profitable to buy a new trimmer for grass with more suitable specifications.
Is it possible to make a coil on the grass trimmer with their own hands
Many trimmer heads (not automatic) are available at a low price and are of good quality. But sometimes situations arise, for example in the country, when the trimmer spool is broken, and its repair is impossible, the store is far away, and it is necessary to mow. In this case you can quickly, literally in a few minutes, make a simple trimmer attachment for fixing the fishing line from ordinary plywood 10-12 mm thick.
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and mark on it a circle with a diameter of around 14 cm.
- Cut the blade with a jigsaw or metal saw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Remember to put a washer on the disc before mounting it on the shaft.
- You may screw small angles or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides of the disk. They will serve to thread a fishing line through them.
- To fix the line, you can screw a few screws into the plywood.
Such a home-made mowing head is attached to the shaft with a nut. It is not possible to tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the desired length and press it down again.
It is also possible to make a mowing reel to fix the line on it from a sheet of metal. You can see how to do this in the following video.
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind the grass trimmer reel and lawnmower
In order not to make a mistake in choosing the right fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake in applying the appropriate tooling.
If the information on the reel about what diameter line can be charged, then this information can be clarified in the manual. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the tooling, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways of doing this, but they are not all applicable. Consider both methods in detail and then, depending on which brushcutter and trimmer models you are using, decide for yourself which option is right for you.