How to spin the spool onto the trimmer
The structure of the spinning coils
Undoubtedly, in order to repair a coil, you need to imagine its structure and principle of operation. Without exception, all non-inertia gears are assembled at the factory from the same type of units, which differ in size depending on the size of the mechanism. The main components of the device are the following parts and details of the product:
- gear drive;
- brake clutch;
- reel seat support;
- reverse direction switch;
- spool mounting rod;
- line guide with bow and roller;
- toothed wheel with shackle.
Depending on the modification and purpose of the inertia wheel or as it is also called by the anglers of the grinder, it can be supplemented with specific functionality inherent in a particular model.
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool
In order to wind the line, it will take about 10-15 minutes. What is a trimmer coil? Plastic body with a cassette inside, on which there is a special hook for comfortable winding of the line. In fact, all trimmer spools have a similar fastening principle, this is a central screw-button, when pressed, it becomes possible to pull out the line of the required length. Video line replacement in the trimmer; how to wind the line on the reel of lawn mowers? Video on changing the line in the trimmer and winding the line on the reel of the lawn mower. How to remove the coil from disassemble the coil on the trimmer and unscrew the nut without. The photo below shows a few examples of different trimmer spools.
Self-resetting of the line guide
An annoying device during fishing is a defect in the device, in which the bow of the line guide is self-resetting, which occurs in the mode of winding the line. The problem in one of the repair options can be removed by tightening the clamping screws of the shackle. If tightening the fastening screws does not remove the issue of incorrect operation, it is worth increasing the stiffness of the spring located under the cover of the device. There are two ways to debug the required spring stiffness: install a gasket on the rod, reducing the spring travel, or replace the native part with a spring with greater stiffness.
How to change the trimmer line on a Ryobi 18 volt cordless string trimmer
The most popular problems and their repair
In the continuation of the article, we will consider a number of the most common problems with non-inertia systems. These malfunctions, which are not critical for the complete failure of the mechanism, can be associated with both defects in the materials of the product, and with incorrect operation of the device. After all, the unfavorable conditions under which the units of the grinder work, and this is high humidity, abrasive sand particles and elementary dirt, of course only have a negative effect on the operation of the unit as a whole, despite the scrupulousness and careful attitude towards it.
But often, in the practice of fishing, even with the observance of the minimum rules for the use of inertialess and regular maintenance of gears and bearings, these troubles occur due to the worked time and resources that exceed the maximum capabilities of the units and parts of the product. The presented breakdowns of the coils should not embarrass and unsettle the angler, because he must be able to put the device in order on his own, which is quite a doable job.
Line breaks under the clutch nut
Important! They pay special attention to the problem by purchasing inexpensive mechanisms, in which manufacturers most often sin by installing low-quality gaskets in this unit.
How to disassemble a coil
Before planning to repair a fishing reel with your own hands, you should worry about the availability of the necessary materials and tools. For these purposes, the angler will need a curly and flat screwdriver of small and medium size, round-nose pliers, tweezers, an awl, a brush with a soft and hard hair structure, an oil can, a piece of rags, as well as any kind of cleaning, alcohol-containing liquid and special mineral oil intended for lubricating rubbing device parts.
It is convenient to perform repair manipulations on a desk under a bright lamp with a white spectrum of light, on a white paper sheet, where small details and connecting elements of the product will be clearly visible.
How to remove and place a reel on a lawn mower!
Assembling the starter lawn mowers
When servicing and repairing the starter, it is important to assemble it correctly. as if the assembly was carried out by the manufacturer. Any part that is incorrectly installed will prevent you from making full use of your trimmer or lawn mower.
- After winding the spring, turn the coil over and place it so that the second spring hook falls back into place. To control the correct installation of the spring, there are technological windows on the coil itself.
- Install the starter pulley and make sure that one of the spring hooks fits into the groove located on the starter cover.
- Insert the spring and washers on the sides to prevent the spring from rubbing off the plastic compartment in which it is located. If the spring is broken, but the other is not the same, an additional washer is placed in its place.
- Insert the cup with antennae into the slots of the coil.
- Install the coil in its place, tighten the bolt as far as it will go, but without fanaticism.
If you do not shield the mainspring with washers from the compartment where it moves when winding and unwinding the starter cord, the reel will often jam when you try to start the trimmer or lawn mower. Loosening the coil bolt will result in its loss.
How to assemble a lawn mower trimmer starter, watch the video.
How tight the spring is cocking?
It is possible to give the spring the necessary potential force necessary for a clear and fast winding of the cord, by determining the length of the cord in turns. To prevent the cord handle from drooping, add 1-2 more turns to the number of turns. So, if the cord has a length of 5 turns of the coil, then when charging the spring, turn the coil 6-7 full turns.
There are times when the starter is still operational, but a worn out cord can break, for example. The ratchet has not yet had time to work when the engine is started, and the remnants of the cord are immediately wound around the coil, the return spring loses its hooks, the grooves in the starter housing break. Bottom line. replacement of both springs and housings.
If a lawn mower or trimmer model has long been discontinued, it will be difficult to find exactly the same parts, and the starter is changed entirely.
How does the starter for lawn mowers or trimmers work??
The starter is a generally single and universal mechanism for lawn mowers, trimmers, gasoline and diesel generator sets. It is not a problem to equip them even a car, motorcycle or scooter, if your vehicle has free space for its installation. It was not for nothing that many Soviet cars and trucks were equipped with a starter tool that vaguely resembles a tire bent twice.
The modern “handbrake” starts exactly from the cord. it is tied to the mechanism, and it is impossible to lose it.
The starter assembly has the following parts:
DEWALT® 40V MAX String Trimmer (DCST990): How to Replace Trimmer Head Spool Line
- hook ignition spring;
- cord wound on a reel;
- return spring;
- ratchet drive and main spring;
- mechanism housing protecting the ratchet;
- locking bolt.
How to replace or replace the starter spring?
If everything is in order with the rope on the starter, suspicion falls on the reel itself. It is driven by a ribbon spring, coiled into a roll. To change the spring, certain steps must be taken.
- Remove the starter from the lawn mower.
- Remove the starter coil.
- Unscrew the main bolt holding the pulley to the housing.
- Pull out the gripping tendrils and spring, the ribbon spring is almost fully extended or coiled into larger diameter rings.
- Hold it in advance.
- Check if the spring is intact (rusty streaks, fractures, etc. may be present). If the hooks at its ends are torn off, it will not be possible to bend new ones. high-carbon steel breaks when you try to bend it. Loose hooks are suitable for slight bending.
- Make sure the auxiliary (regular) spring and washers are in place. These parts protect the coil body from being punctured by the ends of the main spring. If the washers and spring are broken, and new ones are not available, do not tighten the coil bolt tightly, but watch it. it can unscrew and get lost.
- If the main (flat) spring is damaged, insert the same new one. Place the hook on the end of the spring in its place and bend it, inserting coil after coil into the space where it should be.
Restring a 1 string spool on a string trimmer weed eater EASY!!
The rewinding of the spring takes a minute. Dexterity in this action is acquired quickly.
How to replace or replace the starter spring, see the following video.
Lawn mower starters: device and installation features
- How does the starter for lawn mowers or trimmers work??
- Worst failure scenario
- How to replace or replace the starter spring?
- How tight is the spring cocking??
- Assembling the starter lawn mowers
- How to assemble a new lawn mower starter?
- How to change the starter cord?
The recoil starter for a lawn mower or petrol trimmer is a mechanical unit that includes a pulley fitted to a ratchet. A rope is wound on the pulley in the initial position. At the start, it is pulled outward. The pulley is spring loaded. as soon as you let go of the end of the rope, it will reel back. A flat tape rolled into a ring is used as a spring. It resembles a spring in a large mechanical watch that is wound once a day. The starter itself is located more often at the rear than closer to the front end of the mower or trimmer. To correctly perform all manipulations with the starter for lawn mowers, you need to know the features of the device and installation.
How to assemble a new lawn mower starter?
To assemble the starter, do the following manipulations.
- Pass one end of the cord through the opening at the beginning of the spool and tie it in a knot. The knot must not pass through the hole. Otherwise, you will disassemble the starter again.
- Wind the cord onto the spool itself.
- Install the spring into the starter housing, hook one end of it in the groove and wind it. For convenient winding, twist the body counterclockwise.
- Place the ratchet on the spring.
- Hook the return spring to the ratchet itself, attach it to the spool.
- Install the main spring and housing with the assembled ratchet, connect the parts of the starter together and tighten everything with the main bolt.
After assembling the starter, pass the free end of the cord through the hole in the housing for the reel. Re-pass the same end through the hole in the handle that the cord is pulling on. Tie a strong knot on the handle. Check the operation of the starter parking brake.
How to change the starter cord?
It happens that it is not the spring that is to blame for the inability to start the starter, but the cord itself. It can seize or even break. Disassembling the starter lawn mowers or trimmer is versatile in its steps.
- Remove starter block from trimmer or lawn mowers.
- Remove the main bolt holding the handbrake.
- Pull out the spool and rewind the remnants of the worn out cord from it.
- Untie the knot on the cord handle and pull the end out of it.
- Untie the knot at the other end (at the beginning of the spool) and remove the old cord. Knots that have become tight are untied with pliers or pliers.
- Tie a knot at one end of the new cord, pass it through the hole at the beginning of the spool (closer to its axis).
- Wind a few turns of the new cord onto the spool. If it is long, then cut off the excess.
- Load and charge the spring-loaded cord tensioner (if removed) and spring-loaded elements in the correct sequence.
- Replace the spool and thread the free end of the cord through the starter outlet and handle.
- Reinstall the starter block.
Twist the starter by the cord, start the engine on lawn mowers or trimmers. The larger and more powerful the engine, the more jerks of the cord will be required at startup, the norm is no more than 7 times. The result is a quick and smooth start of the motor, the readiness of the unit for operation.