Is it possible to cut the ceiling cornice
Ceiling cornices with lengths of 330, 350 cm and 4 meters are in great demand today. Such models are considered to be the most convenient to use and can be easily transported in a car. But there are also shorter profiles from 0.25 meters. Often, similar items are used to decorate a bay window.
The width of the cornice largely depends on the planned number of curtains. The more of them and the more weight they have, the wider the structure should be. The most common options are with a width of 1 to 20 cm.For lighter curtains consisting of one layer (for example, from linen), thin options are suitable.
If you are going to hang heavy and dense materials on the curtain, then it is better to choose a wide specimen with a width of 100 mm or more.
Installing Gyprock plasterboard. How to cut and install Gyprock cornice
Ceiling cornices are made from different materials. This indicator directly affects the cost of the product and its performance.
- What is and how it looks?
- Materials (edit)
- Color and design
- How to choose the right interior?
- Beautiful options for ceiling finishes
A beautiful and harmonious interior is made up of little things. To make the situation the most attractive, it is necessary to take a responsible attitude to the selection of all the details. These include matching curtains, carpets, decorative elements and curtain rods that match the style and color. We will talk about the latter in more detail.
Color and design
Today, a beautiful ceiling cornice can be matched to any interior, be it a classic or a modern trend:
- First of all, you need to pay attention to the color of the mount. It should overlap with other details in the interior, such as furniture, decorative elements, skirting boards or doors.
- A beautiful white cornice is perfect for many environments. It can both contrast against the general background and harmoniously dissolve in it. Plastic curtains in white are especially popular, as they look concise, neat and inexpensive.
- Natural brown shades are also classic. Elements like this look very attractive and cozy.
- Instances of black, dark blue and dark gray shades will contrast against the general background. However, they should be selected more carefully so that they do not seem like an unnecessary and dark spot in the interior.
- In rooms made in a pretentious style, cornices painted in the color of precious metals will look most organically. Also, on their surface, there may be chic carved lace, patterned intricacies and original inserts. For example, it can be beautiful teardrop-shaped glass plugs around the edges.
- It is not recommended to buy dark curtains for a children’s room. Better to turn to more welcoming and colorful options. However, experts do not recommend hanging overly bright and catchy details in such rooms, as they will attract too much attention to themselves, distracting the child and preventing them from falling asleep quickly.
What is and how it looks?
Ceiling cornices have become an excellent replacement for wall options. With the help of these structures, you can visually make the ceilings in the room higher. They attach directly to the ceiling.
There are many varieties of such curtain rods. They differ from each other not only in the materials from which they are made, but also in their designs:
- One of the most durable are profile cornices. Most often they are made of aluminum and are durable. If you turned to such details, then you will have a wide enough field for decorating window openings. They can be painted in any color in accordance with the tone of the interior.
- Cornices, which are plastic tires, are very common today. Such varieties are presented in a large assortment. They look harmonious in many interiors, so you can choose the right option for any ensemble. Many buyers choose curtain rods-tires, as they are inexpensive and do not require special care.
It is worth noting that such designs are easily hidden. Thus, you can focus not on the cornice, but on another element of the interior.
- Decorative baguette cornices are considered elegant and luxurious. The most inexpensive are plastic models, and the highest price are those made from natural wood. Ceiling moldings are attached to the surface of the ceiling, which allows you to hang absolutely any kind of curtains on them. For example, it can be heavy and dense fabrics. The baguette ceiling structure can easily withstand almost any load.
Also, the cornices differ from each other in their shape.
The most common are the classic straight and flat varieties. For non-standard layouts, bay windows (rounded) cornices are ideal. Most often there are semicircular structures, but depending on the structure of the room, they can also be angular.
Depending on the type of configuration, the following cornices are distinguished:
- Round. Such models are a bar made of wood, plastic or metal. Round cornices are attached to the ceiling using special brackets.
- Strings. Such types of cornices consist of a thin string and two fasteners, between which it is stretched. String cornices are not very durable. It is not recommended to hang heavy curtains on them, since they are not designed for heavy loads.
- Stick. These cornices in many ways repeat the string models, but instead of fishing line, they have a thin strip made of metal or wood.
Often, ceiling cornices are supplemented with a special control cord. Designs differ with:
- Sliding mechanism. Such varieties simplify the use of curtains. You can hang canvases of any length and width on such cornices, and they will open and close with a slight movement of the hand. All you need to do is pull on the control cord.
- With lifting mechanism. Such designs are used for different types of curtains. It can be Roman, French or Austrian curtains. Eaves with a lifting mechanism also have a control cord, by pulling on which the canvas rises up, forming fine folds.
In addition, ceiling cornices are single-row, double-row and three-row. On structures with many rows, you can make very beautiful and lush compositions of curtains.
DIY Coving Cornice Cutting Tips for Beginners
The lightest and most inexpensive are plastic structures. This common material is as simple as possible to process, so today you can find curtain rods on sale in a wide variety of designs. With the help of such elements it will be possible to compose a very interesting and stylish interior of any room.
The most inexpensive are white plastic structures. They are ideal for decorating standard PVC windows, so they look organic in residential and industrial premises. Plastic curtain rods decorated with various planks look especially attractive. They can be a luxurious imitation of stucco molding, as well as gold or silver decor. In such designs, graceful rounded edges and neat fittings are often present, designed to hide the connection of various elements of the curtain.
Lightweight plastic curtain rods cannot always be supplemented with heavy curtains. To do this, it is recommended to install them in special niches formed in the space between the wall and the plasterboard ceiling.
Ceiling cornices always come with various fittings. For example, in profiled products, the inner part has special roller runners. In them, a separate hook is attached to each roller, on which tulle or curtains are then hung. Also in profile designs there are various control mechanisms, plugs, linings and latches.
If you want to create an original and bright interior, then you should choose a ceiling cornice, in which there is an LED strip. Most often, it stretches along the entire length of the curtain and is located in its inner part.
Ceiling cornice installation
- Place in modern design
- How to mount to the ceiling?
- At what distance to hang?
- At what height to install?
- How to install plugs?
- Installing the backlight
A ceiling cornice is suitable for more interiors than a wall cornice. This is due to the low ceiling height in old buildings, as well as the predominant choice in favor of stretch ceilings. Cornices attached to the ceiling differ in their types, and are often complemented by decorative elements.
Regardless of the type of cornice, it is equipped with a standard set of parts. This question should be analyzed for the most demanded options in a little more detail.
For round metal models:
- Tubular base rods can be presented in various color variations. Gold-plated and silver-plated models are no longer surprising, now bronze or brass coatings are in vogue. In addition to unusual colors, metal pipes are supplied with an interesting curly section, for example, an imitation of matter twisted into a bundle.
- Decorative brackets are available both for wall and ceiling mounting. The advantage of round curtain rods is that they are universal (although fastening to the wall remains the preferable option).
- Hooks, rings and clamps for fixing the curtain to the eaves. Usually, such accessories are bought immediately along with the cornice. They are selected in the same style, due to which the entire curtain composition ultimately looks harmonious.
- Additional accessories are all kinds of extension cords, connecting elements, plugs, clips and so on.
For ceiling plastic:
- Tires. The number of rows varies from 1 to 4, depending on the estimated number of curtains. So, a single-row model allows you to place only curtains or curtains, and a four-row model. curtains, curtains and two soft hanging lambrequins.
- Roller hooks or clothespins allow you to hang the curtain, and then wash it with these fasteners.
- End caps prevent hooks from popping out of rows when curtains are opened or closed.
- Pivot elements with a different number of rows are used when you need to make an element curved. Since it is impossible to simply bend the tire, it is supplemented with turning parts. During installation, special attention is paid to the joints. Only when they are performed correctly, and the design of the rows is not disturbed, it remains possible to move the curtains freely.
- A decorative strip with hoods or a baguette allows you to close the joints on the curtain rail, and also act as a design element. It is best to use them only on open eaves; having bought a version with a bar, you will not be able to hide the model.
- Plastic profiles are a lightweight replacement for iron ones when installing a cornice in a niche.
For profile aluminum:
- Profiles differ as far as possible to withstand different weights of curtains.
- Fasteners of aluminum profiles are provided as standard for placing the model on the ceiling.
- To facilitate the management of heavy curtains, the profiles are equipped with rope structures that allow the curtains to be symmetrically pushed to the sides or moved only in the direction of the attachment. For this, a carriage is purchased separately.
- Lifting mechanisms are provided for profile curtain rods for vertical curtains such as Roman or French. In addition, plumb bobs are supplied. weights for chains.
- Inserts are purchased for attaching additional elements, for example, lambrequins.
- Stopper plugs simultaneously cover the ugly side parts of the cornice and prevent the hooks from jumping out of the grooves.
- Hooks for aluminum curtain rods are supplied with ordinary plastic.
At what height to install?
It so happens that it is not possible to mount the ceiling structure directly on the ceiling. Then choose a wall mounting method. It is made using special brackets that allow you to fix the ceiling version on the wall.
Depending on why you cannot hang the cornice from the ceiling, the distance that you need to retreat from the ceiling varies. Also, this distance depends on the type of cornice.
When mounting the rail, it is best to mount it directly under the ceiling itself so that the gap between the ceiling and the eaves is almost invisible. This will add height to the room, however, it will be quite difficult to wipe such a cornice from dust.
How to cut coving corners perfectly
When installing an open tubular cornice, calculate the distance to the ceiling so that there is a gap of at least a centimeter between the ceiling and the curtains.
This will simultaneously create the illusion of a ceiling mount and allow the curtains to “ride” freely under the ceiling without deforming the top edge.
When installing on a multi-tiered ceiling, it is best to install the cornice in a special niche, equipped approximately at the level of the upper tier. The niche hides the cornice structure, and the curtains flow as if from nowhere. So the curtain mount will not distract attention from the beautiful and unusual ceiling covering, which is probably the main accent in the interior.
How to mount to the ceiling?
In order to carry out the installation of the cornice correctly, you first need to carefully study the instructions for the model you have chosen. As a rule, it immediately gives recommendations for the installation of the product.
When choosing a ceiling cornice, which will be attached to a stretch ceiling, you need to take care in advance of strengthening the ceiling covering with a wooden beam in place of the cornice. If the ceiling is already stretched, the ability to hang the cornice on the ceiling is lost.
This section will deal with the installation of a plastic tire cornice, since it is he who is the most popular today. Even a beginner can fix such a structure.,
The most important thing is to take your time and do the job carefully:
- Mark the position of the cornice on the wall, making a preliminary calculation. The length of the cornice depends on individual preferences: you can make the curtains cover only the window opening, or you can prefer the arrangement of the curtains to the entire wall.
- If the width is chosen for the window opening, saw off a part of the bus with the length of the window opening plus 60-90 cm, depending on the splendor of the curtains. When choosing a full-wall option, you will need a bus with a length of the wall minus 20 cm (10 cm on each side).
- In the plastic bus you need to drill holes for fastening: they are large on the outside, and very small on the inside. The standard bindings spacing is 60 cm, but if the curtains are heavy, this should be reduced. When installing under a stretch ceiling, please note that on the side that will be located at the ceiling, the holes can not be drilled at all (in the future they will be cut with self-tapping screws), and on the outer part they should be of such width that the self-tapping head can easily pass through them.
- Wide models in 3 or 4 rows can be equipped with bindings in 2 rows, so feel free to make two rows of holes.
- Attach the curtain rod to the ceiling markings. Use a pencil to mark the holes through the holes. It is much more convenient if two people work: one holds, the other notes. So the probability that the cornice will “leave” tends to zero.
- Drill holes in the ceiling with a drill and seal them with dowels.
- Now attach the tire and screw through the holes.
For stretch ceiling installation, installation is carried out in a similar manner, with the exception of a few important differences.
- The markings on the ceiling should be done even before the ceiling sheet is fixed and the place of the future cornice should be reinforced with a wooden bar.
- The canvas itself must be reinforced with protective rings where there will be holes for fastening. After installing the rings, you need to carefully burn the holes for the screws. This is done to prevent the stretch ceiling from bursting.
- With the help of self-tapping screws, the tire is carefully screwed to the ceiling, strictly falling into the burned holes. It is recommended to start installation from the middle.
For information on how to correctly and quickly install the ceiling cornice, see the following video.
Place in modern design
Window decoration is nowadays an important part when planning the entire interior. The overall appearance of the room depends on how well the cornice is selected.
The mount for curtains should harmoniously fit into the general atmosphere of the room, and the work on its installation is prescribed to be performed efficiently and accurately. This is especially true for open cornices used for decorative purposes. Another thing is the hidden cornice, showing the curtains in all their splendor. Some flaws can be hidden, but neatness should not be completely neglected here either.
As it is clear from the previous paragraph, cornices perform several basic functions. Firstly, they serve to fix curtains. Also, curtain rods often have a decorative function, especially if it is necessary to focus on an unusual curtain mount or ceiling structure. In addition, the mounts themselves can serve as key elements of the entire design.
A correctly selected cornice will mask flaws during repairs, for example, sloppy joints of walls and ceilings, irregularities, and so on.
It can also hide the unfortunate top of the curtains themselves. For example, decorative models with a wide bar are often used to hide gathers on the curtain tape, if this detail is not to the liking of the owners of the room.
The correct choice of fasteners for curtains guarantees the transformation of the entire room, harmonization of proportions, an increase in the height of the ceiling or the width of the wall, depending on the type of fastening. This effect is achieved through the competent use of visual illusions, which help to deceive the viewer in an amicable way.
Cornices are widely used when installing decorative curtains in the middle of the room, zoning the space. Without the right curtain rods, the entire effect produced by such curtains would be spoiled, so they are invaluable in creating the atmosphere of the entire environment.
When choosing, you need to be as careful as possible to the chosen type of cornice. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is recommended to understand in more detail one or another selected model before buying.
Cornices are subdivided according to different characteristics.
Based on materials:
By the method of attachment to the surface:
By the number of rows:
- Single row;
- Mini cornices;
- For roman blinds.
It is worth dwelling in more detail on the most demanded options. The most popular ceiling option is the plastic tire curtain rail. Also, sometimes a flexible aluminum profile is selected to replace it. This applies to those cases when it is necessary to suspend a very heavy structure. For example, a three-row cornice allows you to place curtains, curtains and a lambrequin.
A similar scheme is relevant for living rooms and bedrooms, as it adds grandeur and gloss to the room, at the same time reliably protecting the room from sunlight and the looks of curious passers-by.
Flexible structures can be mounted on curved windows, for example, in a bay window or in an attic room. The bay window version is slightly different in the set of accessories, since additional spare parts are required to fix the bends.
In addition to decorative baguettes, you can purchase a baguette cornice, where both the cornice and the plank are combined into one structure.
Speaking of metal structures, we can single out the most popular round and string cornices.
The round cornice is a bar with tips, on which the curtains are later attached. A rod with a diameter of 16 mm is considered typical.
A similar version of the cornice itself is a decoration, especially if you choose a model with artistic forging.
A string cornice is a thin cable stretched between two iron brackets. A similar type of curtain rod is used for hanging lightweight curtains such as thread or tulle models.
String designs look modern and dynamic. Due to the small diameter of the cable, they are almost invisible and it seems that the curtains are hovering right in the air.
At what distance to hang?
To correctly calculate the distance from the window opening on which it is worth hanging the cornice, use a special formula. You will need the following values:
- The width of the protrusion of the battery or window sill, whichever comes out more strongly. Usually this is a radiator, but in some cases there are exceptions (for example, when we are talking not about modern plastic small window sills, but about bulky Soviet ones). Typical protrusion is 15 cm.
- Next, you need to lay an amendment in order to collect the curtains and at the same time they do not touch the window sill with folds. Depending on the density of the curtains, the distance is 10-12 cm.
By adding these values, you get the distance at which you should attach the tire.
By attaching the cornice to the plasterboard ceiling, a niche is often made for the curtains. In this case, the width of the niche is calculated based on the values of the width of the protrusion, the correction for the folds of the curtain and the distance between the extreme guides of the eaves (for example, 1 and 2 for a two-row model or 1 and 4 for a four-row model; with a single-row design, this value is not taken into account).
The presence of a niche does not affect the position of the cornice itself.
Many, when attaching the tire, neglect the need to retreat such a large distance, because they are afraid to reduce the already small dimensions of the room. This cannot be done, since the curtains, bumping into the ledge, will deform. It is better to choose models up to the ceiling, in which case it will be necessary to lay not the width of the ledge, but only an amendment for the curtain assembly. If the window sill protrudes strongly enough, but it is necessary that the short curtains look harmonious and do not emphasize the impressive ledge, the width of the window sill is taken as a basis. When it is more than 12-14 cm (adjustment for gathers plus 2 cm), the adjustment for curtain folds is not taken into account.
How to install plugs?
The functional purpose of the plugs is to restrict the movement of the hooks only by the cornice. The plugs prevent them from falling out during the opening and closing of the curtains. In addition, they also perform a decorative function, covering the sections on the sides of the cornice and making it aesthetically more attractive.
The plugs are mainly placed on plastic tire or aluminum profile cornices; for round rods, special tips are selected. finials. They serve as both limiters and decorative elements.
To install stubs, you need to decide what type you are dealing with. If you are using the clips included in the kit, they must be inserted into the curtain guide. If there are several guides, and there are only two clips, it is recommended to install them to limit the canvas of working curtains: tulle moves extremely rarely, and lambrequins never.
If you additionally purchased solid end caps, and not only bounding hooks, but also closing cuts, you should be a little more careful. First, they differ in left and right detail. It is important not to mix it up, otherwise the installation will become impossible. Otherwise, it is enough just to put the plugs on the sides of the cornice.