How to properly cut linoleum at home
You will see a visual view of the device above. for a branded product of a simple level. For a specialist finisher, it is better to buy higher quality equipment. Among the manufacturers, one can note the products of the company Romus, Santul. For construction work with your own hand, knives from Fit, Bieber and Jituls are quite suitable.
How to properly cut linoleum at home
How to properly cut linoleum at home
There is nothing difficult in cutting a linoleum coating, and it is important that the right tool is selected, because it is extremely difficult to cut dense material even with a sharply sharpened knife or stationery.
Natural or PVC linoleum can be cut with the following tools:
- Construction knife. has a retractable design, the ability to change and rigidly fix the cutting blade. This is, in fact, an improved and adapted version of the retractable stationery knife, which is adapted to the needs of builders. Great for cutting thick and thin roll materials, but it is important to correctly follow the blade during the work process.
- A knife for cutting linoleum. has a curved or hook-shaped cutting device. This makes it possible to quickly and efficiently cut through linoleum, carpets and other soft floor coverings. Perfect for cutting a straight seam, as well as curly elements in corner joints.
- Cut for floor coverings. available in different variations. For linoleum, a design with cutting disc elements is used, which is fixed in a special frame with a handle. You can also use a simple cutter with a fixed blade, which makes it possible to quickly and efficiently cut an even edge along the total length of the fabric.
You can also mark a tool such as a beveler. It is used when laying natural material when it is necessary to cut off “broken” edges. In the case of a PVC coating, it makes it possible to trim the edges with a fringe, if unforgivable mistakes were made during cutting earlier. When choosing working tools, you need to take into account the type of coating that you plan to mount. Household linoleum is characterized by its low thickness and density. A simple construction knife is enough to cut it. expensive semi-commercial or even natural linoleum is best cut with a special knife. This makes it possible to cut through the protective dense coating and get a perfect cut.
How to competently cut roll coatings
To carry out work on cutting the linoleum canvas, in addition to the purchased knife, you will need to prepare a square, tape measure and a long ruler. To obtain a template, you will need plain paper or high-density cardboard. When working, try not to rush and take all measurements more than once. Cutting is required with confident movements, applying effort. If necessary, you can draw up a scheme for placing the canvases, and after that they will begin to cut them according to the calculated parameters. The technology for cutting the floor material with his own hand will be made from the following:
- Before cutting the linoleum, it must be kept indoors for 1 to 2 weeks at room temperature. precise terms are spelled out in the instructions or on the paper tab that comes with the coating.
- After that, the roll is cut along the length of the room, taking into account the allowance, and for a canvas with a length of 5 to 6 meters, the overlap is 2 cm, less than 10 meters from 4 to 5 cm, and if more than 10-12 meters, then all 5-7 cm. required for stock of material for undercutting and natural shrinkage.
- The cut canvases must be left for 4 days until they are perfectly straightened. If “waves” remain on the surface, then there is no need to try to eliminate them using third-party methods. Quality roll-to-roll matting straightens naturally.
- Next, the cut pieces are laid out along the length of the room, and if there are protruding communications and other decorative elements in the room, then you will need to prepare a template from paper. After it, the pattern is transferred to linoleum and cut in the required places.
If the room has the correct shape, then the linoleum is pushed close to the wall with an overlap and cut off at the junction.
At the end of cutting, the material must be shifted by one half of the room and the working part must be removed from dust, abrasive particles and construction debris. After that you can start fixing and joining it.
Docking two or more canvases
In order to join two or more canvases, cold welding is required. You will already learn how to cut linoleum when laying, and consider the attachment features. Fixation can be done in several ways. An adhesive composition that is applied over the total surface of the floor will be the most reliable solution.
Double-sided adhesive tape is used for rooms where the degree of hardness of the fixing does not matter or the linoleum is a temporary floor covering. The glue mass is prepared for work according to the instructions on the package.
A spatula is used for application, and first fix the linoleum against the wall to a large linen width (from 60 to 70%). The composition is required to be applied to the finishing surface in undulating movements, and without excess. After that, the canvas must be carefully lowered and rolled over it with a heavy roller. If there is no such tool, replace it with a simple building level, which is wrapped in a soft cloth.
The surface must be carefully smoothed over the total area. Do the same with the second room half. To join the canvases, it is required to glue the tape along the total length and remove the protective coating, and then an adhesive mass is applied to the remaining part. After gluing, the seam needs to be rolled as best as possible.
If you plan to weld seams, you need to cut a filling groove.
Before welding, you need to thoroughly warm up the hair dryer for several minutes, put on the nozzle and insert the cord. Above you can watch a video on how to cut linoleum when laying flooring in a residential area. Pay attention to the sequence of actions when laying a couple of canvases.
How to cut roll coverings correctly
Highlights when cutting linoleum during installation
To carry out work on cutting linoleum canvas, in addition to the purchased knife, you will need to prepare a square, a long ruler and a tape measure. To create a template, you need plain paper or thick cardboard.
When working, try not to rush and take all measurements several times. You need to cut with confident movements, applying effort. If necessary, you can draw up a diagram of the location of the canvases, and only after that start cutting them according to the calculated parameters.
DIY linoleum cutting technology will consist of the following:
- Before cutting the linoleum, it should be kept indoors for 7-14 days at room temperature. For a more precise date, refer to the instructions or paper insert supplied with the coating.
- Next, the roll is cut according to the length of the room, taking into account the allowance. For a 5-6 m long blade. 20 mm overlap, less than 10 m. 40-50 mm, over 10-12 m. 50-70 mm. This is necessary for the stock of material for trimming and natural shrinkage.
- The cut canvases should be left for 3-5 days until they are completely straightened. If “waves” remain on the surface, then you should not try to eliminate them using third-party methods. A high-quality roll cover will naturally straighten.
- Then the cut pieces are laid out along the length of the room. If there are protruding communications and other decorative elements in the room, then you will need to prepare a paper template. After that, according to the template, the pattern is transferred to linoleum and cut off in the right places.
- If the room has the correct shape, then the linoleum is pushed up against the wall with an overlap and cut off at the junction.
- For joining the canvases with a pattern, the first canvas is laid out on the floor surface. The second canvas is superimposed over the first until the joining edge forms a continuation of the pattern. Next, the edge is pressed with a long ruler and cut through both pieces.
Upon completion of cutting, the linoleum must be moved one half of the room and the work surface must be removed from dust, debris and abrasive particles. Then you can start fixing and docking.
Linoleum cutting tool
The construction knife is a versatile tool for cutting roll coverings
Cutting PVC or natural linoleum can be done using the following tool:
- construction knife. has a retractable design, the ability to change and rigidly fix the cutting blade. In fact, this is an adapted and improved version of a stationery retractable knife, adapted for construction needs. Suitable for cutting both thin-layer and thicker roll coatings, but when working, you should carefully monitor the blade stroke;
- knife for cutting linoleum. has a curved or hook-shaped cutting element. Allows you to quickly and quality cut through linoleum, carpets and any other soft floor coverings. Suitable for both cutting a straight seam and curly elements in corner joints;
- floor cutter. available in various variations. For linoleum, a design is used with a disc cutting element fixed in a special frame with a handle. A conventional fixed blade cutter can also be used. Allows you to quickly and efficiently cut a flat edge along the entire length of the blade.
Additionally, you can mark such a tool as a “beveler”. It is used when laying natural linoleum when it is necessary to cut off the “broken” edge. In the case of PVC coating, it allows you to cut the edge with a “fringe” if gross mistakes were made during cutting.
When choosing a working tool, one should take into account the type of coating that is planned for laying. Household linoleum has a low density and thickness. An ordinary construction knife is enough to cut it.
expensive semi-commercial or natural linoleum is best cut with a specialized knife. This will cut through the dense sheeting and get a smooth cut.
The appearance of the tool can be seen in the photo above. for an entry-level branded product. It is better for a master finisher to purchase better equipment.
Among the manufacturers are Truper, Suntool and Romus. For DIY work, knives from Biber, Jettools, Fit are quite suitable.
How to properly cut linoleum when laying. the choice of tools and technology of work
Hello. There is nothing difficult in cutting linoleum. The main thing is to choose the right tool, since it is very difficult to cut a dense canvas even with a well-sharpened knife or stationery.
Docking two or more canvases
Cold welding is used to join two or more canvases.
Fixing linoleum to the floor can be done in several ways. Glue applied over the entire surface of the floor is the most reliable solution. Double-sided adhesive tape is used for rooms where fixing rigidity does not matter or linoleum is a temporary floor covering.
The adhesive mass is prepared for work according to the instructions on the package. A spatula is used for application. First, linoleum is fixed against the wall for a large width of the canvas (60-70%). The adhesive is applied to a clean surface in undulating movements without excess.
After that, the web is carefully lowered and rolled with a heavy roller. If there is no roller, then it can be replaced with a regular building level wrapped in a soft cloth. The surface must be carefully smoothed over the entire area.
How to lay sheet vinyl flooring
Do the same with the second half of the room. To join the canvases, you will need to glue the tape along the entire length and remove the protective coating. After that, an adhesive mass is applied to the remaining part. After gluing, the seam should be carefully rolled.
If you plan to weld the seam, then you need to cut a groove for the filling. Before welding, it is necessary to thoroughly warm up the hair dryer for several minutes, put on the nozzle and insert the cord.
Above you can watch a video on how to properly cut linoleum when laying flooring in an apartment. Pay attention to the sequence of actions when laying multiple canvases.
What is linoleum cut
There is a huge selection of construction tools for cutting flooring. special knives that have a number of advantages:
- they work equally effectively with linoleum, which is either in a vertical or horizontal position;
- no difficulties with replacing blades;
- the ability to obtain the most even cut;
- high strength characteristics of the blade;
- high-quality blade fixation system;
- there are devices with rubberized pads on the handles (anti-slip).
It is best to cut linoleum at home by using one of the following types of special tools:
- Construction knife. The model is a retractable design, where there is a possibility of quick replacement of the cutting blade. Thanks to the perfect sharpening, working with linoleum is quite easy. In general, the device is very similar to a clerical retractable knife, only more improved and adapted for cutting flooring. It can be classified as universal; it is also used to fit a thin-layer material and a thicker coating. The main thing is to follow the progress of the cutting blade.
- Knife for cutting linoleum. This version of the tool is distinguished by a curved or hook-shaped blade shape. This feature of the cutting element makes it possible to easily cut any floor covering, including linoleum. It is good to use it not only for cutting a straight seam, but also for cutting curly details in corner joints.
- Floor cutter. This special tool is available in different designs on the market. The disc version is excellent for cutting linoleum. The canvas is fixed in a frame with a handle. A model with a fixed cutting element is also suitable. Such a conventional cutter is easily capable of making a straight edge along the entire length of the material.
How to install and cut in sheet vinyl floors carpettoolz.com
How to cut linoleum in a roll
To cut a floor covering on a roll, you must:
- Lay material lengthwise to the room.
- Cut off the excess part, gradually unwinding the roll, but at the same time you need to simultaneously twist the cut off part.
To avoid mistakes, before starting work on cutting the material, you should measure the width of the room in several places, preferably 3-5. The largest indicator is taken as a basis. The tool must be with a well-sharpened blade.
How to cut linoleum in an apartment: along the walls, under the baseboard, under the pipe and in the corners
The almost widespread use of linoleum in an apartment and a house is explained by ease of maintenance, a large assortment of colors and textures, and an affordable cost. This popular floor covering can be installed on top of the adhesive mixture or left unsecured at all. One of the advantages of this material is the ability to cover the floor without the involvement of specialists. Cutting linoleum at home is not so difficult, but it is important to know how to do it, which tool is better to use.
To obtain the desired result when working with roll coating, you must follow the advice from experienced craftsmen:
- It is impossible to start cutting the flooring immediately after purchase. To stabilize its size, the selected material must be kept indoors for at least a couple of weeks. in warm conditions. After unpacking, the roll should be rolled out and cut into canvases in accordance with specific dimensions, but provide for an allowance for shrinkage and adjustment. The rule applies here: the longer the cut, the more allowance is needed. So, if the length of the web will be more than 10 m, then 50-60 mm must be left in reserve, and if the length is less than 10 m, 30-40 mm is enough. If the room is small, where the length is less than 6 m, then the allowance should be up to 20 mm. It is recommended to put all canvases in a pile and give them time for full straightening. 5 days.
- You need to start working with linoleum after laying it on the floor, where the walls are marked on the spot. To press the material to the floor, you should use a proville or a building ruler. First, they make a puncture and a small incision with a sharp tool, and then they lead the knife along a ruler along the entire perimeter of the room. A V-neck is made in the corner. To work with pipes, columns, a bay window, it is imperative to make patterns, for convenience you can cut it out on a newspaper, and then attach it and make it out of cardboard. In order not to spoil the floor covering in difficult areas, it is necessary to cut in small pieces, according to a template.
- If the floor covering is used with a pattern, then first lay it face up and try it on. After laying the material parallel to the wall, it is pressed, you can use a heavy object, cut it off. In the place where the canvas ends, apply the following (overlap), pay special attention to the selection of the pattern. The canvases collected in two layers are carefully cut through without haste. If the room is very large, then the selection of the pattern occurs along the border. Here it is necessary to cut off the abutting elements using a ruler and a sharp tool, controlling the accuracy of the pattern coincidence.
How to properly and quickly cut linoleum at home, you can look at
How to choose a tool for cutting linoleum
To properly cut linoleum into the corridor or any other room, you need to competently approach the choice of tool. The knife must have:
- Reliable grip. It can be made of metal or wood. The cutting blade must be of high quality and stainless steel.
- Suitable blade thickness. To avoid problems when cutting the flooring, it is recommended to use a cutting blade with a thickness of 0.6-1 mm.
- Ability to withstand severe stress.
For a quick and convenient workflow, you should understand all the variety of tools on the market. There are products for chamfering, for a cord, various scissors, cutters. For the correct selection of a knife, it is necessary to take into account both the structure and thickness of a particular material, its individual characteristics.
How to cut linoleum exactly
In order to cut linoleum according to the size of the room without any difficulties, and the cut turned out to be even, you need to familiarize yourself with some of the intricacies of this class of flooring. PVC is a fairly durable product, but if there are sharp depressions or small cuts on the edge of the sheet in the direction of the main part, there is a high probability of rapid damage to the material. Therefore, you need to work very carefully, making an even cutting of the canvas.
Considering that PVC linoleum is easy to cut with a well-sharpened tool, all accidental movements should be excluded. Otherwise, it can provoke a deviation from the given direction. It is possible to avoid such troubles by using a template or a long ruler for cutting.
Canvases with uneven edges prevent the seam from being invisible
Since the method of cold chemical welding is used to join two canvases, they must be cut with maximum accuracy. Thanks to this, it will be possible to exclude pronounced seams, which greatly spoil the appearance of the entire floor. Before starting cutting the linoleum sheet, it is imperative to check all measurements, the quality of the sharpness of the cutting element.
The algorithm of work on a section of coverage along the entire length or width provides for the following actions:
- Mark the line on the inside or outside of the canvas, which will serve as a guide for cutting.
- Attach a long ruler to this mowing line.
- Cut off the sheet with a sharp knife.
How to cut linoleum at home
To cut linoleum, it is not enough to take just a knife; you will also have to prepare a tape measure, a square, a long ruler. In addition, you will need a sheet of paper or thick cardboard for the template. Considering that the linoleum canvas “does not forgive” mistakes, then all measurements are better not one, but several times to check for accuracy. Cutting movements must be confident, with effort.
How to cut linoleum
If you decide to start making changes in your apartment, starting them from the kitchen, then you will definitely need to change or lay linoleum. The modern quality of materials allows you to use linoleum in the corridor or hall.
Having made the necessary measurements, you will be faced with the task of cutting the material correctly. The appearance of the final work on the improvement of the floor of your premises will depend on the quality and accuracy of cutting.
Most often, linoleum sellers offer you to purchase a special knife when purchasing material. Those who have not encountered the features of cutting this finishing material mistakenly assume that this operation can be performed using improvised tools, the list of which includes knives (kitchen, pen, stationery), scissors (gardening, tailors), etc.
Of course, for such operations, there are specialized tools, the use of which guarantees you high quality joints between parts of linoleum prepared for flooring.
The cutting technique of the linoleum itself also affects the quality of the connection of its individual parts. The easiest and most common way to cut the material in the same way to eliminate gaps in the joints is to overlap the edge of one piece of linoleum while cutting. Cut both pieces of material at the same time, then you can avoid gaps with a width of 1 mm or more.
Inaccurate joints between parts of linoleum will lead to the accumulation of dirt in the crevices, which will lead to rapid wear and tear and disruption of the integrity of the entire coating. This cutting technique requires increased attention to the quality of the cutting surface, since any mistake made during this process will damage both pieces of material, and, as a result, increased labor or financial costs.
How to cut linoleum?
The main types of cutting tools successfully used in cutting linoleum are of three types: retractable construction knife, flooring knife and linoleum cutting knife. Sometimes, in the absence of the above tools, a clerical knife can be used, provided that a stock of replaceable blades is used.
However, such a knife can only be suitable for cutting thin linoleum. The cutting angle with such a knife must be kept the same. Otherwise, there is a high probability that the knife will “lead” to the side, and, instead of a straight edge of linoleum, you are guaranteed to get a “fringe” effect along the edge of the cut material.
The choice of tool for cutting linoleum very much depends on the thickness, density of the coating and the complexity of the shape that must be given to the various parts of the material that is used.
A retractable construction knife is better suited for cutting thick types of linoleum, as it has a stronger structure than a clerical one. Although the design principle of this knife is the same, however, the thickness of the blade and the guiding elements are made taking into account the greater load on the cutting surface.
Such a knife will be able to qualitatively cut linoleum of any thickness. The tool itself can be used for other functional tasks when repairing your apartment, but it will not always allow you to accurately cut the coating for parts of the material that are installed end-to-end. Uneven seams can be conspicuous.
The flooring knife is a very durable and easy-to-use tool that allows you to cut any type of flooring used for flooring. However, its technical design will allow high-quality cutting of material only in a straight line.
The linoleum cutter is a specialized tool with a fixed curved blade designed for cutting linoleum of any available density. If it is on sale, then it is better to opt for it. It is a knife equipped with a front-loading retractable blade and several working positions.
How to properly cut linoleum?
When cutting linoleum, we will need other tools: a square, rulers of different lengths, a spatula with teeth. The procedure for cutting and laying linoleum:
To level the coating, linoleum must be rolled out and left to level for a while.
It is necessary to cut material blanks taking into account the allowances for cutting and shrinkage of the coating (from 2x to 6 cm, depending on the length of the material).
After cutting the linoleum into ready-made pieces, they must be left for 4-5 days in the form of a stack of sheets, for full straightening.
After straightening, it is necessary to place the pieces of linoleum on the floor and where it is necessary to fit, cutting off small pieces of the coating in the places where the protrusions, pipes and other communications are located, pre-marking on thick paper, which will be used when cutting the coating as a template.
You can adjust the dimensions of the covering directly on the floor if there are no additional protrusions in the room and the room has the correct shape.
Cut linoleum at the base of the corners should be “V-shaped”, pressing it to the floor with a ruler or corner, cut along a ruler.
When using linoleum with a complex visible pattern, perform face-up cutting operations to evaluate the quality of the joint pattern of the applied coating.
How to measure, cut and install Linoleum floors Part 1 of 3
Linoleum should be cut along a long line, starting from one side of the wall.
After cutting the first piece, secure the edge of the cut material with any heavy object. Mark a seam line over the finished piece. Place the next piece on the finished piece, cut both along the intended mowing line, butt the new piece back to back.
High-quality raw material, the right tool, precise cutting of the coating, linoleum installation end-to-end and a good fit when the material shrinks will bring you maximum satisfaction with the work performed, and the room will sparkle with new colors. The new coating of your floor also depends not only on the tool you choose, but also on the patience when cutting the linoleum.